Is it ready yet? Supposed to keg tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
I brewed up a porter a couple weeks ago, and though I was estimating an OG of 1.049, I got crazy efficiency and wound up with 1.062. I was using Irish Ale Yeast.

It's been fermenting since Oct. 26, but I noticed right away that the airlock wasn't going very strong. It had one day of mild visible activity, and since then, nothing.

Today was the day I was thinking about kegging it. I took an FG and got 1.021, not the estimated 1.013.

What do you think I should do at this point? I tasted it and it isn't bad. I could just keg it now. My hunch is that it won't ferment any more if I leave it be for another week, but am I mistaken? Or should I pitch another yeast pack?

Suggestions?

I'm sipping it right now, and it's actually pretty tasty. I could probably keg it and be happy.

But after reading a few other posts, I'm going to let it sit another week. If it's the same FG then, I'll keg it. I lose a week, but it could be worth it in the long run!

Check your hydrometer for accuracy? Sometimes the scale inside will move.

Another week, especially with a not so hoppy brew like a porter is never a bad idea. Especially when getting that super quick carbing from kegging.

Can you shake the fermenter to stir up the flocculated yeasties? That sometimes helps to bring down the gravity that last couple points. Also, letting it sit for a bit after primary fermentation has let down can give the yeasties time to clean up whatever biyproducts were produced during fermentation.

Shaking is a good idea; I hadn't thought of that. Just gave it a good shake (or as much as I can do with a big 'ole fermenter), and we'll see what happens in another week's time.

Back