First Berliner Weisse total success (competition)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a 43 with my first attempt at Berliner Weisse, and won first in the category.

Super happy, especially since at one point I was ready to dump the whole batch when I thought it got an acetobacter infection.

Super easy

2.5 pounds Pilsner
2.5 pounds Flaked Wheat
Mash hop 60 min. 1 oz. low alpha hop.
15 min. decoction for the last 15 min. of the mash.
No boil
Threw raw grains into 100 degree wort, and after 48 hours pitched kolsch yeast and finished it out

low alpha hop? any variety work?
15 minute decoction? 25% of mash?
mash hop?
no boil?
raw grains into 100 degree wort?

Yeah, you could probably even leave hops out. Lacto hates IBU's, but I figured some hop presence might help prevent other unwanted infections.
Yeah, no science with the decoction I just read somewhere that it is common for BW to have a decoction, so I took about 25% of the mash and boiled it for 15 min. at the end of the mash.
Mash Hop = Hops in the mash for low IBU's.
No Boil = No Boil
Raw grains harbour lacto, so you can innoculate your wort by tossing the raw grains into it. My berliner was delightfully tart/sour, and surprisigly clean. I don't have my score sheet back, so I can't give you feedback.. but everyone who tries it raves about it. Doesn't hurt it's like 2% abv ;)

Back