Measuring device

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryiman

Reaction score
When you all batch sparge, what do you use to know that your getting the right amount in. Like do you all have a spoon marked? Kettle marked? Let me know whats the best way to do this. Thanks

My paddle is marked for my kettle, so that's how I measure my strike water. During the mash I use the kettle to measure the amount for my first sparge into my HLT, and I just remember where the level is for when I fill it again.

I measure the amount of water that I then heat up to strike or sparge temps and add maybe a pint more for evaporation. Nothing too exact but close enough.

I have the pot marked, so I know how much is in there. (Pink nail polish on the outside works well). Then, my boil kettle is marked, too, so I can see what my runnings are. If I need more or less, I adjust then.

I use Beersmith, and almost always hit my volumes 100%, though.

My first 5 gallon boil pot has makings for every gallon. I just use that and eyeball when I need inbetween levels.

I always heat 5 gallons of water to about 170 and then use a 2qt saucepan to dip and transfer to my mashtun. Close is close enough for me.

I use marked 5 gallon buckets that you can get from lowes, then I use them again to measure my total drainings from the MLT, so I know how much I am putting into the boil.

Back