The problem with all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjm

Reaction score
So I cracked my first all grain tonight, and I'm having some reservations. The real problem with all grain, is that I can't imagine that the beer on tap at my local is ever going to cut it again, and they have some decent beer to choose from. The thing is that I like having a few pints there to hang out, listen to music, and absorb the vibe, but the batch of beer that I just made is one of the best that I can think of, and I don't believe I'm exaggerating too much! If I did have any complaints, I say that it is a little on the sweet side, but I have had that problem before, and it usually disappears with an extra week or so in the bottle, and this one might very well be a bit fresh even if it tastes as good as it does. I haven't checked in here for a while, but I was so excited about the results of my first all grain that I had to let someone know. I'd tell my friends, but they would drink too many, so I'm keeping it a secret locally for now. And, it was easy. It took more time that the partial mash, but it is worth it. Super clear, perfect head, bang on in colour, just about the right bitterness (for a British style Pale Ale - come on I'm Canadian - not too fond of the American Hope Craziness anyway), smells great with quality yeast effects and fresh hops. So back to my problem with all grain; what to do about my disappointment at the local?

Cheers to good beers,

rjm

well I can't copy your sentiments on hops, as I can't get enough of em'. But My next brew will be my first AG. I recently did a PM on an IPA and it is by far the best beer I have ever tasted, IMO. So I have high hopes for AG. I think the best part about AG is that you control everything. I have yet to find the perfect IPA for me...but with this latest batch, I can tweak it ever so slightly and perfect it....for me. That's the best part about AG for me...I can be totally selfish and disregard anyone that isn't me when making it!

Dan

Just start your evening at the pub with a double shot of Jack or something to numb the tongue. The house ale won't taste so bad anymore.:D Congrats on your first AG

Create a corporation, get a license, and start selling it to the local pub/bar, then you can go there, hangout, and have one of you brews.

You could always sneak in a six pack of your own and drink it on the sly. But then you would be "stealing" atmosphere and vibe from your brewpub. Seriously though, my local beer garden will allow you to bring in "samples" and even share them if you want. As long as you don't sell them your fine.

In the PNW, bad brewpubs don't survive. I've been to four brewpubs in the area that didn't have anything great, they are all closed or have changed hands in the last two years. A brewpub has to have one great pour to survive. The rest can be good.

[One place in Portland had the best french onion soup ever. The beer was sad. They closed.]

Ha, you say that now. Given a little time and your taste buds will scream for more hops.
Oh, congrats on your first AG. Wasn't so hard, was it?

BTW, tune your friends onto homebrewing and you won't have to worry about sharing. You can share each others.

My homebrewing sure spoiled me, my father, and my brother. We are all disappointed now in anything but the occasional micro. I can't get my nephews interested, they are BMC Lite addicts. I've brewed exclusively malty brown beers, and all of my previous favorites seem so dull now, Newcastles, Dos XX, even Fat Tire. Guinness is now drinkable. I used to eat it with a knife and fork.

Back