Questions after first partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primer

Reaction score
First off, love the forums. Been reading here since my wife got me a starter kit for Christmas and so far have bottled an extract nut brown, and an extract ipa in primary. I have the bug bad so I bought another primary at my lhbs and worked with the staff to model another ipa after dogfish heads 60min ipa.

I steeped the grains ( about 2 lbs ) as close to 152f as I could with the damned electric cooktop. I used a gallon of water because the 2.2L it called for just didn't look like it would ever cover all the grain. Did I screw up doing that? Sparged for 15 mins at 170f and took to my brand new 44qt pot on the propane burner in the garage.

I made a little over 6 gals of wort total due to ppl on here saying they lose a little over a gal during an hour of boiling. Boil went easy with all the hop additions due to my awesome massive pot.

Cooling took longer than usual due to the damn pot being so big I didn't have an easy place to cool it. It is bubbling this morning already. My lhbs gave me a slap pack yeast (first time using those) and on the pack it said designed for 1.050 gravity. I hydroed mine at 1.080 ( high to the recipe) will that hurt fermentation? Could it have hydroed high due to maybe it getting below 5 gals while cooling? Thanks all and really love the forums. Completely hooked

Ya I definitely wasn't stressing, rdwhahb'd for sure. Just wondered about the high og and steeping

Latest posts

Back