Starsan and KT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrguy

Reaction score
Okay to use Starsan to rinse bottles destined for KT? Since I have this handy for brewing just wondering...

As long as you rinse well, I guess it should be okay. Surely you wouldn't want that stuff in your KT, but I guess you also make sure it doesn't end up in your beer :cross:

StarSan is no-rinse.
You can use it, but from personal experience, plain white distilled vinegar works better if bottle carbing. StarSan is designed to kill wild yeasts and bacteria; kombucha is wild yeast and bacteria.
If your bottles are really nasty, certainly clean them real good with something that is not antibacterial and won't leave unwanted residues or scents behind. Then rinse well with distilled vinegar, and a second rinse with distilled water (or tap if you must) if for bottling so your KT isn't too vinegary. If you're cleaning your brewing containers, clean as above and rinse with distilled vinegar, no need to rinse it away as it will help lower the pH for brewing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Makes sense. I had a couple of pickle jars. I soaked in pbw and then washed with tap water to remove residue, then rinsed with starsan to make sure the residue was gone. Then because I didn't know, rinsed with tap again.

So, in the future sounds like a simple hot water soap scrub and rinsed well will do fine. Thanks

My experience with StarSan and Kombucha.

I've been brewing Kombucha for 3 years now, always bottling in flip top style bottles. Been using StarSan on the bottles and everything that comes into contact with the Kombucha while bottling (funnels, pyrex cups, etc) and have not had any troubles at all.

I submerge the bottles in a bucket of StarSan, dump out and leave upside down on a bottle rack until time to bottle. They are still wet on the inside when the KT goes in.

Back