Final Hop Addition and Counterflow Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterHouse

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before and I am repeating a previous question. I looked and couldn't find the answer. I brewed an Amarillo Pale Ale which called for a one ounce Amarillo hop addition at flame out. After I added the hops I hooked up my counterflow chiller and started cooling the wort while it drained. I am afraid that the hops were not allowed to sit in the wort long enough. After transferring to the secondary I dry hopped with another ounce of Amarillo (which was not called for in the recipe) to try to make up for the short time the wort was exposed to the final hop addition. Should I have added the final hops with say 5 minutes to go on the boil or is adding them when I did and chilling immediately the way to go? The beer has another week to dry hop.

I usually leave my flame out additions in the wort for about 15 minutes before I start chilling with my CFC.

Back