Kevin's Chex Mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Dean

Reaction score
Chex Mix is about as basic as it gets, really, but I am never content to settle for plain stuff so I decided to mix my my Chex Mix up.

Firstly, at the beginning I thought this recipe sucked. I ate more and more of it as I drank various beers (I personally think Killian's and this go well together, despite the shame in having Killian's around still...) and after a pack of Grolsh, a few Killian's and a Blue Moon, this stuff was a short step away from heroin-in-a-bowl.

If you don't like spicy food, I suggest subing "Hot and Spicy" seasoning with "Regular" or "Mild".

2.5 cups Rice Chex cereal (or generic for ye cheap folk)
2.5 cup Corn Chex cereal (Thrify people can buy generic!)
1 cup Cherrios (can yo guess I'll say generics are okay?)
1 "big handful" of pretzel sticks (officially it's 2 cups, but I change it up)
1 cup Planter's Mixed Nuts (I personally pick out the Brazil nuts, YMMV)
1 "small handful" roasted garlic flavor New York Style bagel chips (NYS is the brand, not a specific style. Use what you can get)
1 "small handful" wheat New York Style bagel chips
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of water
1 (1.25 ounce) pack of Old El Paso "Hot and Spicy" taco seasoning

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees F

Mix oil and water and seasoning in a bowl, microwave for 20 seconds.

Mix "everything else" in a really big bowl.

Pour seasoning sauce over "everything else", shake until well coated.

Pour into a baking pan, spread evenly

Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stiring every 15 minutes.

I love Chex mix, so this caught my eye, but I have to say the "I had to get drunk before this tasted any good" disclaimer wasn't exactly a good selling point.

Bromley said:
I have to say the "I had to get drunk before this tasted any good" disclaimer wasn't exactly a good selling point.

It's not bad. :) It's more of a case of "It doesn't taste like Chex Mix" kinda thing. I think it's pretty good after you get past the fact that it's different.

Back