Gotta try these local brews Boston, Plymouth, Cape Area MA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
Ok, going up to the Cape Cod area on March 1st, barring bad weather, and I am going to be around Providence RI, Boston, Plymouth area day tripping out of Hyannis. What are the locally only, can't get anywhere else beers I gotta try?

You know what they are, don't keep them a secret!!!:mug:

Well first off, on the Cape you will find Cape Cod Beer in Hyannis. They are in the middle of expanding, so not sure what their tour schedule is or if the self-guided tour will be available, but they will definitely let you taste and pints are also now available there. Their porter is excellent and their current have a new beer Biere De Mars on tap, a French Farmhouse ale. I have not tried, but it sounds good.

There is Cisco based on Nantucket. Their beers are available on the Cape and most of MA. Anything in their Island Reserve Series is worth trying, ditto with their "The Woods" series. Also Mayflower Brewing in Plymouth, their Porter is also excellent and their Spring Hop Ale is now out.

Those are just three local breweries in the area you will be visiting. Someone with more expertise can give you specific beers in MA not in PA. But if you go to seekabrew.com and select MA and then select your state to compare it with, the left column result are beers not in your state. Doing that myself, a few stick out. Boulevard, their beers are excellent especially Tank 7. Jack's Abby, Idle Hands, Clown Shoes, Element, Rising Tide and Full Sail are other producers of some very good beer.

Also, if you are in the Boston area, you need to go to Cambridge (right across the Charles River from Boston) to Cambridge Brewing Company, the most popular brewpub in area. They produce a great deal of good beer!

Hope that gives you a starting point!

Element and Wachusett Brewing have some good stuff. Wachusett has their Quinn's Amber ale out now which I rather enjoy. Their milk stout is also rather good.

Edit: almost forgot Lefty's out of Greenfield. His stuff is available in Western/Central MA, so you may have to travel a bit, but I'd say it's worth it.

Also Mayflower Brewing in Plymouth, their Porter is also excellent and their Spring Hop Ale is now out.

Mayflower Brewery also makes a really good IPA. I think it's sold in 12 pack variety or 6 packs. I would definitely try it out.

Try Berkshire Brewing Co. if you can find it (especially their nitro coffee stout!). If you're heading up to Boston check out Meadhall in Cambridge for a really nice selection of beers (and much better food than Publick House)

You're headed there just at the right time to have Mayflower's Spring Hop. One of the best beers in the area and only available for a few short months. So I second that.

Also, Allagash White is the best witbiers in the country. I used to live in Salem and would enjoy this on tap a lot. I miss it a lot actually.

There's also Offshore Ale from Martha's Vineyard.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Boston Beer Works is a great brew pub with tons of selection.

If you make it into RI, we have some new ones: Grey Sail (Westerly, RI), Foolproof (Pawtucket, RI), Ravenous Brewing Co (Woonsocket, RI), and Bucket Brewery (Pawtucket, RI). The latter two I haven't had the chance to try yet and they may be harder to find (tap selections only with limited distribution).

Best local brewery that you won't find anyplace else is nightshift in Everett. Worth stopping by their taproom and brewery. If you can't make it there, find a bottle. My favorites are the SommerWeiss and Viva Habanero.

Back