Bottling from kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
I'm currently considering buying either a beer gun or a counter pressure filler. Right now I'm leaning towards the beer gun, any comments or anything to be aware of?

beer gun is alot esaier to use
also search for the BMBG on these forums, costs about $2 to make, and does a fine job.

Yes, Beer gun and warm temps = Excessive Foam. The document's with the beer gun state that you need to have the bottles and the beer at the same temp, or your going to get excessive foaming. I have a beer gun, the pain is cooling all the bottles to beer temp, with out it you get lots' of foam.
I would go with the counter pressure filler if you can't control the bottle temp.
PS: I just met John blichmann, he's a great guy, support him some other way than buying the beer gun.

Unless you just want to spend the money go ahead. But, if you'd like to save a considerable amount do a search on "bottling from a keg" here on HBT. You'll find lots of money saving ideas on how to do it (including the one above from hbb). I know I did. Here's the link to the BMBF from one of the moderators. Good luck.

I never had any problems with foaming in warm bottles. I suspect a CO2 pressure issue... that said, I don't use my Beer Gun anymore, in favor of a BMBF-style setup.

I use the beer gun for long term bottling. Put a 5 gallon bucket of 2.5 gallons of starsan in the fridge overnight and use that to sanitize the bottles. Gets the bottles cold to reduce foaming. If you're not going to sit on the bottles long (less than ~2 weeks) just fill from the tap. Purge the cold sanitized bottle with CO2 first and turn the keg pressure down and vent first.

+1 on the BMBF!!!!!!

Chances are if you were bottling via a bottling bucket, you already possess the necessary equipment for the BMBF. The only exception might be the #2 stopper required to fit in the bottle opening.

That threads enormous, but SOOOO worth the time reading it!!!

I've seen a post here on HBT that linked to a youtube video. The guy attached a special piece to his perlick and was filling from the tap itself.

I've seen a post here on HBT that linked to a youtube video. The guy attached a special piece to his perlick and was filling from the tap itself.

What Pivzavod is talking about can be purchased from Centerline Machining. I couldn't find that specific thread but it was posted by member nostalgia. I purchased it and it works great but there are lots of great ideas and ways to do it here on HBT.

What Pivzavod is talking about can be purchased from Centerline Machining. I couldn't find that specific thread but it was posted by member nostalgia. I purchased it and it works great but there are lots of great ideas and ways to do it here on HBT.
Hey, that's me! :) Here is the thread. The video is below if you don't feel like finding it in the thread.

I still bottle this way and have had beer in bottles for up to a year with this method.

-Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Back