Bottling question/ sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgremark

Reaction score
There was a video on youtube about putting sugar (1/4 to 1/2 tbsp) per bottle instead of boiling the sugar in water and adding it to the beer. What are the pros/cons of this method?

TIA

If you accidentally add too much sugar to the bottles you get bottle bombs. On the other hand, this may be a good way to prime just a few bottles of beer if you plan on kegging most of it. In this case though I would just buy carb tabs and drop them in. Best way is to mix a boiled sugar solution to the whole five gallon batch if you plan on bottling the whole thing.

Like trevorc said. For a couple of bottles, add the sugar. For an entire 5 gallon batch it is easier, faster, and less of a mess just to prime the entire batch and bottle.

I like to add the sugar water solution straight into the 5 gallon batch. It saves time and gives the beer a uniform priming.

Mr Beer suggests bottling that way, but I found some of the bottles would be over carbed or under...sometimes I think I was putting "heaping" measurements, sometimes level and sometimes just under. I used the carb tabs on my last batch of Mr. Beer, but when I bottle my first batch of Brewer's Best I'm going to boil the sugar and add it into the beer. It makes sense that it would be much more uniform.

Latest posts

Back