pH for sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
So, quick question. I haven't done a lot of research on the matter but some videos got me questioning. Does Star San and other sanitizers rely on acidic levels of pH for their sanitizing characteristics? I have an alkoline water machine for drinking that I can set the pH settings from 3 (acidic) up to 10 (alkaline). However, when I use the 10 setting for drinking purposes, the other side drains the acidic water which is roughly 4 on the pH level. I know this is on the edge of being enough to kill bacteria, but it's still acidic enough for sanitizing purposes. Hell, even the company themselves recommend to bottle up the acidic output and clean your counters and other surfaces to sanitize them. Thoughts on using this instead of star san in some cases?

Note: I do use Star San, but just wanted to get people's opinions on using acidic water as a back up.

Star-San needs to be below 3.5 to be effective. I'd stick with that, but it can't hurt to have the water on hand in case you unexpectedly run out while you're brewing.

Yeah, I figured I'd need something below 4. Just wondering in a pinch, if something around 3-4 pH alone would be effective.

It probably would work. I just hate rolling the dice when it comes to sanitation.

A couple of things here....

Although the pH=3 water may be bacteriocidal, it has to stay at pH=3 for it to be effective. Water won't stay at that pH because it isn't buffered. As soon as it touches anything else/is mixed with something else the pH is probably swinging widely. Star-san is pH-buffered with phosphoric acid. A buffer by definition resists changes in pH. It will be a more effective santitizer because it will stay at pH=3 until so much acid or base is added to it to overwhelm its buffering capacity.

Additionally, Star-san contains a detergent with the phosphoric acid...the detergent combined with the low pH phosphoric acid buffer most likely makes it a much more effective sanitizer.

Hope this helps.

A couple of things here....

Although the pH=3 water may be bacteriocidal, it has to stay at pH=3 for it to be effective. Water won't stay at that pH because it isn't buffered. As soon as it touches anything else/is mixed with something else the pH is probably swinging widely. Star-san is pH-buffered with phosphoric acid. A buffer by definition resists changes in pH. It will be a more effective santitizer because it will stay at pH=3 until so much acid or base is added to it to overwhelm its buffering capacity.

Additionally, Star-san contains a detergent with the phosphoric acid...the detergent combined with the low pH phosphoric acid buffer most likely makes it a much more effective sanitizer.

Hope this helps.

Agree with this. I believe, however the DDBSA (surfactant), is added because it is a profuse foamer. The foam allows the acid to linger on vertical surfaces for an extended period of time.

Yeah, I'm not thinking about keeping it for long term. I drink so much alkoline water that it's always spitting the acidic stuff out on the other end. It would be a temporary thing. Just thinking outloud really and wanted everyone's opinions. I know Star San is meant to keep at a pH for longer periods with other additives, just curious is all really. Looking for other ways to use my acidic disposal water other than watching it go down the drain.

Back