Cap Blew Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
All~

I brewed an IPA and though I had a blow off tube, but it was a 1/3" or so tube - not as big as my real blow off tube. But I figured it was better than an airlock and went with it. I brewed on Sunday, and it was in full swing by Monday morning. When I got home from work, the blow off was looking good... a little material in the tube and it was bubbling like mad... But I WAS worried as I went to bed at 11pm

Well, I am sure you know where this is heading.

I wake up at 3am and the blowoff tube and cap had been blown off and there were specks of kraussen on some sweat shirts and about 3" of Kraussen sticking out the top.

I cleaned and recaped.

Woke up this AM and its go as strong as before... a little less... and there is less matter in there so I am not as worried about another one.

My question is about the beer. Do you think its ok?
Should I even bother to continue?

I know there is likely no one right answer to this but I would love to here your opinion.

Thanks!

Jason

Oh yeah, you are fine. When stuff is coming out like crazy like that, nothing bad is going to go in.

In fact, before I got a proper blowoff tube, I had a couple crazy fermentations like you are describing and just capped it with aluminum foil and let the krausen run down the side.

Once it settles down (sounds like it is already), just put a clean and sanitized airlock on top of it and wait as usual. There should be no detrimental effects to the beer.

Great.

It has calmed a *little* and the level in the carboy is lower.... and there is not kraussen in the blowoff tube...But its still going pretty good. I think what happened was when I looked at it last night, there was some bits of kraussen in the tube at various spots. The stuff close to the whole was what I think did me in.

I guess there is nothing I can do as I dont have a bigger tube anyway.
[crosses fingers]

Jason

Back