final gravity too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRobrew

Reaction score
Hi all. I brewed a weizenbock partial mash recipe. The final gravity is 1.026. According to beer tools it should be between 1.015 and 1.022.

It's still in the clearing tank and it tastes pretty good. I'm not too worried about the details, but I wanted to see if someone could validate my assumptions here.

It was a little chilly and it was fermenting around 60-65 degrees. Also, I did not use a yeast starter.

Would that fermentation temperature cut it a little short? Then, I think a yeast starter would have made for a healthier pitch to start with.

I'm only on my third batch this weekend, so I'm still trying to get feel for the details.

Depending on the yeast you used the cool temps may have made your FG a bit lower. Was your OG also a bit on the high side? What yeast did you use? A starter is also a good idea on bigger beers like you said.

OG was 1.090, so it did come in at the absolute low side of the guidelines for the alcohol %. Tastes pretty good already, can't wait to bottle and age it a bit.

I guess I should have mentioned how the first batch of yeast didn't really do anything. It was a wheat yeast in some foil package with a nutrient pack inside. (forgot the name)

After 1.5 days of no bubbles in the airlock, and no visual signs of fermentation, I went and picked up some white labs hefe yeast and saw activity within a couple hours.

Did you agitate it enough in the primary to get air into it? Boiling the wort removes all the oxygen from the liquid that the yeast needs.

I'd warm it up a bit and maybe agitate it. This will help ensure that the yeast finishes properly. If you are bottling, you run the risk of creating bottle bombs (although the difference between where it is at now, and the proper FG is minimal, so the odds of getting bottle bombs is small.)

Back