Testing alcohol %

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangoblast

Reaction score
I've got a bottle of Armageddon, which claims to be the world's strongest beer, and it tastes too good to be true for something that's 65% ABV. When something is labeled as 65% ABV, does that mean 65% ethyl alcohol or can it mean a combination of compounds that can count as Alcohol?

If it is listed as 65% ABV then that number has to be justified/presented to TTB. It has to be its ethyl alcohol content. Since this beer is an Eisbock, they freeze down a high gravity beer and remove water until they achieve the stated ABV.

Good question. TTB does not require measurement of alcohol in beers but I'm guessing if the content is really 65% ABV and that is reached by freeze concentration, which they treat as distillation, that they would classify the stuff as spirits and require that the ABV be assessed by distillation followed by density measurement of the distillate. What this means is that the beer contains volatile substances which, when separated from the beer and mixed with enough water to bring the volume of the water solution to the volume of beer tested, result in a solution of the same density as a 65% V/V solution of pure ethanol. It does not mean that the beer contains 65% V/V ethanol but you can be assured that it contains nearly that much as few of the volatiles are more volatile than EtOH and thus come over with it in the distillation. One of those things is acetic acid but I doubt this beer has appreciable acetic acid content.

I had gone through the posts. I haven't experienced but I heard this information through my friend. Could you please produce me some more details about the topic.

It's a BAC test for drinkers. You put the plastic test strip in your mouth for 10 seconds, wait 2 minutes for color to develop and then read the result against a legend on the back of the package. Supposed to be 90% reliable whatever that means. But I expect you read Italian better than I do so I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I have no idea what the chemistry might be and it is not related to this thread.

At present technology, Various equipments are available for testing alcohol. Recently, I watched a product at one of the online stores which is giving the results in the mode of color change whether alcohol or not. It's really good to know the immediate result.

I had gone through the posts. Various online tests are available about the alcohol. Physician offices and urgent care centers provide the best opportunity to screen patients for alcohol problems. The Paddington Alcohol Test was also designed to be given to patients being treated for falls and accidents in the emergency room. The test contains only three questions and is easy to score.

Back