Anyone have mens room red clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at a Mens Room clone also. Elysian web site list the malts as Munich, and Crisp 77,Cara-hell, Cara-red and Cara-vienne. I would probally use 75-80% of 2-row for the base. I plan on reading and using Beersmith to see what the Crisp 77 and Cara malts add in color, body and taste. Crisp 77 and the Cara malts around 10-12% of grain bill. Have to break them down to what percentages of each. SRM of around 11. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm still kind of fresh to the brewing process but I will do my research and ask around and see if we can figure this one out! This beer is well worth the effort! :)

My LHBS has one Im doing this weekend.
Mens Room Red

A Hoppy Amber from Elysian Brewing

7 lbs Light Malt Extract

1/2 lb Crystal 80 L Malt

1/2 lb Munich Malt

1/2 lb CaraHell Malt

1/2 lb Melanoidin Malt

1/2 lb Caravienne Malt

1 1/2 oz Chinook Hops 20 HBUs(Boiling)

2 oz Cascade Hops(flavor: 2 min)

Wyeast American Ale

Add cracked Crystal, Munich, Carahell, Melanoidin, and Caravienne Malts to 2 gals of cold water and bring to boil. When the boiling starts, remove the grain. Add the Light Malt Extract then bring to a boil again. Add 1 1/2 oz of Chinook hops. Boil for 58 mins. Add 2 oz of Cascade hops and boil for two minutes. Sparge the hops with cold water into the fermenter. Add the wort to the fermenter with cold water to make 5 gals. Add yeast when the temp reaches 70º. Ferment at 65º for 7 days or until fermentation slows. Rack to a secondary fermenter. Let it age 1 week in secondary then bottle or keg. For bottling, use 1 1/4 cup of dry malt extract boiled with 2 cups of water added in the bottling bucket.

Sounds good! I will convert the recipe to AG and give it a try. I entered the recipe in Brewsmith, I came up 1.074 SG and the Est ABV 6.5%, that seem high, Also is the Extract LME or DME.

Sounds good! I will convert the recipe to AG and give it a try. I entered the recipe in Brewsmith, I came up 1.074 SG and the Est ABV 6.5%, that seem high, Also is the Extract LME or DME.

It is LME. I just brewed it and the SG came out to be 1.062 with the extract, and I attempted a baby partial mash since there was some Munich Malt in the recipe, thanks to Yooper for the tip. I think Ill do a full on partial mash for my next brew day.

How did this all turn out since this post is a year and a half old? I spent two years living in the Tacoma/Lakewood area and drank Mens room red and Mac and Jack's like they were going out of style. I would love to bring some of the Washington craft brew-ness to the townies here in Michigan where I live now.

I'm drinking a Shiner Kosmos that tastes like it was Fermented in a men's room. That probably isn't any help tho.

Did this clone turn out for anyone? I found Men's Room Red on clearance because they weren't going to carry it anymore. Now I can't get it here in Erie PA. I May try the clone recipe anyway but I'd like some input if anyone has some?

Back