partial extract with rice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertyman

Reaction score
Just curiouse, is it possible to do a partial extract brew, but boil rice first and add it as part of the extract, or do I need to do an all grain? Im looking at dulling down a few sets of beers for my cheep college friends who's prefered choice of beer is pabst. Yuck... Oh, and I got an organic rice that isnt preserved...if that helps.

you need to convert the starch in the rice to sugar, so yea at least a partial mash is needed. but you can buy rice syrup that doesnt need to be mashed.

cool. How long does a mash take. I have heard that I can just do a mash with rice that takes an hour, and then pitch in to wort. Or do I need to filter out the sediment first? Thanks for your help.

I think Im lost. In order to do a partial mash do I need to have additional equipement. I was thinking I could just boil some rice seperately and then when it was done just throw it in my wort in substitution of some of the extract?

yea a partial mash is the same procedure as a full mash but on a smaller scale, so you need a mash / lauter tun. If your looking for a simple way to lighten a beer look at your LHBS or online HBS for rice or corn syrup. both can be thrown in with the liquid / dry malt extract.

With any starchy grain like rice, wheat, barley, oats etc... you need to convert the starches into sugars before the yeast can ferment it so boiling rice with soften it and gelatinize the starch which is the first step towards converting the starches but you still need a base malt (pale malted barley) which has enough enzymes to convert the starches into sugars then you need a lautertun to separate the grain from the sugary liquid that you would add to the rest of the wort.

I'm able to do partial mash with a grain bag and no extra equipment, and it's greatly improved the quality of my beers (I can control more of the base malt flavor, since I'm not relying on what's available in extrat). If you order a mini-mash kit from Austin Homebrew, they'll include some really nice instructions for the process in the recipe.

Back