First AG batch going well!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
Hey everyone. On Sunday, April 25, I brewed my first all grain beer! It is an AHS Red Hook ESB Clone. I used a cooler MLT that I converted myself with a stainless steel braid and brass ball valve. I was a little worried that I'd pitched the yeast when the wort was too warm, because there was NO activity in the first three days. When I took the airlock out of the lid the beer looked completely dead, no krausen at all. I went to the LHBS and picked up another vial of yeast, brought it home and opened the lid and lo and behold, KRAUSEN!

It's been fermenting at around 67 degrees for the past 8 days, and I took a gravity reading today and it was already 1.015. The recipe says it should finish at 1.103. Unfortunately, I forgot to take an OG reading! I tasted the beer and it is delicious already.

I was always afraid to try AG brewing, but I have to say all things considered, I think this brewday was my best yet! Everything turned out as I expected, and it was easy as cake!

Congratulations! Although, don't expect all brew days to go so smoothly. If you don't have a plate chiller, or at least a counterflow... I'd highly recommend one. Sounds like your sanitation was good though if it sat 3 days with no activity. No infections means your sanitation methods are likely sound.

Yeah a chiller is next on my wishlist. That and a good digital scale. I pretty much guesstimated on the Willamette hops, because it called for .5 ounces.... :-\

Back