Tempered Glass Refrigerator Bottom & Cornelius Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a keg w. Cobra tap and keeping it in my main kitchen refrigerator being that I'm in an apartment and don't have space for a kegerator or mini-fridge.

I realize that I'll lose 1/2 my refrigerator space and will have to readjust the shelves to accomodate the keg.

My main refrigerator has a tempered glass bottom that the keg would rest on. My question is, would this be enough to support a Cornelius keg + 5lb CO2 tank? I'm concerned about the weight possibly shattering the tempered glass.

Liquid is generally 8# per gallon so a 5 gallon batch would be 40+ lbs concentrated into a 9" diameter.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't risk it.

Perhaps cut a piece of 1/4-1/2"plywood to support the base.

IMO, resting your keg on a sole piece of 1/8" tempered glass is a big ...NO, NO...IMO.

Cheers!

What he said.

If you're renting and the fridge isn't yours, I would take the glass shelf out and put it away and replace it with the plywood.

Well, I've got 5 gallons of bock in a glass carboy resting on the bottom shelf of my fridge. It's also tempered glass, but the carboy does have a little larger diameter. Despite that, I will be pulling out the shelf and replacing it with plywood when I take out the carboy. Tempered glass isn't exactly cheap, so don't risk it if it can be avoided.

In my current kegerator I have two 5g cornies sitting on top of the tempered glass bottom. I have been meaning to put a piece of plywood in there, just haven't done it yet. I'm always a bit concerned when I replace kegs on that glass.. But it has worked fine so far. I would be more comfortable with more support. I also try to put the kegs near the plastic cross supports. Eventually I'll put some wood in there.. if only for piece of mind.

Back