Citra/Galaxy Brett IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
I love using brett and have been meaning to get around to doing an all brett IPA, so I'm finally going to do it this weekend. I think some nice fruity hops like citra & galaxy should go real well with the brett. let me know what you think

5gal, 1.07ish OG, 1.01ish FG, 60ish IBUs
10lbs pils
1.5lbs munich 10
0.5lb honey malt
0.5lb acidulated malt

1oz Warrior @60
1oz Citra @5
1oz Galaxy @5 (or Nelson Sauvin or the like if LHBS is out)
1oz Citra @dry hop
1oz Galaxy @dry hop
brett slurry

mash @152F, boil 90mins, ferment @68F for 5 weeks, dry hop 1 week

I actually don't know. It's the proprietary strains from de Preof and Allagash that I harvested. I've used it a few times in belgian-style ales with great results.

anybody else have any thoughts on this? if my LHBS has both, I may do an oz of each nelson sauvin & galaxy along with the citra or do you think that will be too fruity?

I recently had a Bitter Monk from Anchorage Brewing, which is a Bretted Belgian DIPA using Apollo, Citra, and Simcoe hops and is aged in used French oak chardonnay barrels. It was one of the most awesome beers I've had. I think that Citra/Galaxy or Citra/Nelson Sauvin would be a great match for a Brett IPA. Wine barrel aging is completely up to you, of course.

I would wait until the brett completely poops out before adding the dry hops, however.

thanks, I may take you up on the oak idea. i picked up some light american oak chips (no cubes :( ) & might toss in 0.5oz or so with my dry hops for a subtle note.

brew day went well and i just pitched the brett starter this am. sadly the LHBS was out of both galaxy and nelson so I ended up using some zythos. i may grab an oz of moteuka to add on to the dry hop. dont know much about it tho

done and gone. i did not really care for the motueka nor the zythos, but everybody else seemed to enjoy this beer more than i did (lotsa pineapple)

Back