Biscuit Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi,

Found a recipe for Irish Cream Ale that sounded quite appealing. I'm a little confused though as it calls for 1/2lb of Wheat Grain and 1/2lb of Biscuit Grain.

I understand the Wheat Grain, but not sure about the"Biscuit Grain". Any thoughts?

Thanks,
J

Well, that's what I assumed at first. But the directions clearly state: Steep grains at start of boil and reomve once boil is going... :confused:

Yes, you're steeping the grains...not mashing them. You're not going to get any fermentables out of the grains...just color and flavor.

I'd suggest that you not follow the directions and steep the grains in water that is no hotter than 175 F.. any hotter and you risk tannin extraction (astringent beer). I don't know why but I see a lot of receipes posted that call for soaking the grains in boiling or near boiling water... just seems like a bad idea to me.

As for the flavor of the biscuit malt - it's supposed to lend a bread like taste and a bit of color (25 L).

edit: Forget everything I just said.. I'm 99% positive that biscuit malt and wheat malt must both be mashed. I don't think you'd gain anything by steeping them.

Latest posts

Back