Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelandmccann

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just finished my homemade Stir Plate ($21 total) and it works awesome. Currently I only have a 1000ml Flask and my next batch calls for a 1l starter. The only negative thing I've read about making a 1l starter in a small flask is the chance of boil over, but I don't plan to boil in the flask as I have an electric stove. The stir plate creates a vortex well strong enough to stir 1l (I tested with food coloring).
So, can I make a 1l starter in a 1000ml flask?

Thanks!

Go a little under. The issue when not boiling in the flask is the chance of kraussen overflow. If you want to get your exact cell count to what you need, you could do a 2 step starter. Do a 800ml one first and calculate your cell count. Then let it settle and dump the wort off the top out,, then do another starter with the correct amount of wort to get up to your desired pitching rate.

How many cells do you need to pitch?

What yeast are you using? Is there a production date and yeast cell count on it?

With a stir plate you can make a 1 liter starter in a 1 liter flask. Would be a good idea to get a 2 liter flask. Soon you will run into a brew which will require a 1.5 liter starter. I use the shake method with 1 gallon pickle jar or a 48 ounce cottage cheese container on the stir plate.

You are very wise to not boil the starter wort on the stove top, even if you would have a gas range. The design of the flask is for creating a volcano boiling DME.

Go a little under. The issue when not boiling in the flask is the chance of kraussen overflow. If you want to get your exact cell count to what you need, you could do a 2 step starter. Do a 800ml one first and calculate your cell count. Then let it settle and dump the wort off the top out,, then do another starter with the correct amount of wort to get up to your desired pitching rate.

How many cells do you need to pitch?

What yeast are you using? Is there a production date and yeast cell count on it?

I am using White Labs California Ale. Expiration is Dec. 19, so production would have been Aug. 19. Mr. Malty says 222 billion cells, and 2 vials in 1l of starter.

I am using White Labs California Ale. Expiration is Dec. 19, so production would have been Aug. 19. Mr. Malty says 222 billion cells, and 2 vials in 1l of starter.

so you are using 2 vials in this starter? and need 222 bil cells? If so, you only need a 800ml starter and will be at the right numbers

I also fill my 1L flask no higher than 800ml when making starters.

Krausen can be a real b*tch sometimes. I just spent the day babysitting 1.2L in a 2L flask of Allagash yeast. Every 30-60 minutes I had to knock the krausen down to keep from pushing out the foam stopper - PITA!!! It was like 10" of krausen throughout the day.

so you are using 2 vials in this starter? and need 222 bil cells? If so, you only need a 800ml starter and will be at the right numbers
How are you calculating this? Is there a better tool than Mr Malty? It says 2 vials at 70% viability in 1L will achieve 222bil.

Yeah that seems right for needing 222. With 2 vials pitched in 800ml on a stir plate, you end up with 233 billion cells so that is perfect. id say do that and dont look back :D make sure to keep on eye on your starter for krausen overflow tho, with that much yeast it may happen quickly

Yeah that seems right for needing 222. With 2 vials pitched in 800ml on a stir plate, you end up with 233 billion cells so that is perfect. id say do that and dont look back :D make sure to keep on eye on your starter for krausen overflow tho, with that much yeast it may happen quickly

Thanks for the help!

What is the difference between the Zainesheff and Troester stir plate options on yeastcalc? The Troester says I could pitch one vial and it would equal 223bil.

I think Troester is the one most of us with stirplates will use. My calculation came out 183 bil, make sure you have the production date and everything. one vial that ends up at 183 actually wont be bad at all for the beer. I have pitched a smackpack without a starter and made excellent beer. Try one vial for now on the starter and save a vial. If you are worried, use both in the starter

I think Troester is the one most of us with stirplates will use. My calculation came out 183 bil, make sure you have the production date and everything. one vial that ends up at 183 actually wont be bad at all for the beer. I have pitched a smackpack without a starter and made excellent beer. Try one vial for now on the starter and save a vial. If you are worried, use both in the starter

Awesome. Thanks again!

Back