Total emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviatorTroy

Reaction score
Well I was brewing my belgian blueberry Wit for the woman today, and everything was going swimmingly. Too good. After a perfect mash session, good boil, and all, I cranked up the immersion chiller and the da*)%^(*^% thing blew a line inside my wort. By the time I caught it, it had leaked at last a gallon.

Right now I have the wort in 2 different pots (to speed things up) back on the boil, I figured I could boil them down to about 1.060 SG or so and then try it again. Obviously my hop schedule is completely screwed up now, also I had .5 oz each of orange peel and coriander in there at 5 minutes to go, how will that be affected? Im thinking of just adding maybe .25 oz of Saaz with about 30 minutes to go and maybe that will get my hops back on track after this unscheduled extra boiling...

You might be better off just adding some DME to what you have to get your gravity where you want it as opposed to boiling it down. You're going to turn all your hop additions into bittering hops if you reduce it.

+1 on BendBrewer's idea; get the gravity up, chill, and pitch. Maybe throw in some zero-minute hops additions to help get the aroma back on track.

Back