Holes chewed in the leaves of my Goldings plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBrew

Reaction score
How can I organically control whatever is eating holes in the leaves of my Hop plant?

It will be hard to come up with a cure without knowing what is eating your plants. Look on the bottom side of the leaves for things like caterpillars, aphids (might be translucent green and hard to spot), or other insects. I have holes under the leaves of several of mine and had to check half a dozen leaves before I found a couple tiny caterpillars having dinner.

I have had some luck with pepper sprays but it is tedious to get the spray up under the leaves. It also helps deter larger animals (rabbits, groundhogs). You can also try neem oil. But again finding the culprit will help you pick what you need to control it.

Not to shure if this will help but i had a real bad snail problem and a ring of copper foil at the base of the plant took care of it. I know it works for snails but as for other pests im not shure.

I liked the guy who drizzled the spray into the blast from his leaf blower. He added an elbow so the air was moving upwards.

Are you sure something is eating them? I have a few leaves that looked like something has been nibbling on them but have no signs of bugs. No signs of read damage either, other than a few leaves that have holes or some leaves even look liked they are chewed down the middle. Maybe some wind damage?

Maybe post some pics so we can see!

Back