Should I buy Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know Pol, I am looking at mash profile and the water volumes are right there. Have you set up your equipment? You might also preview your brewsheet on occasion to get a better look at things.

I did set up the equipment...

SO, of you do to DETAILS in the MASH section on your recipe page, does it show the Tun Volume Required exactly the same as the water volume? Mine does, and that is incorrect.

I also cannot get it to update the Water Needed section when I change the ammount of malt in a recipe.

I think I am going to look into ProMash... I dont like how this is not updating.

I dont like how it will not calcualte the grain + water volume in the MLT

StrangeBrew has a silly free trial that even when it is half deactivated, calculates MLT volumes, updates continuously and I can save my recipes. I have used it for 2 years, and the ghetto version of it is not nearly as clumsy as BeerSmith (the trial) is turning out to be for me.

Is there a way to setup your recipe defaults in ProMash? Like final volume, boil rate etc? I am not seeing it.

I did set up the equipment...

SO, of you do to DETAILS in the MASH section on your recipe page, does it show the Tun Volume Required exactly the same as the water volume? Mine does, and that is incorrect.

I also cannot get it to update the Water Needed section when I change the ammount of malt in a recipe.

I think I am going to look into ProMash... I dont like how this is not updating.

I dont like how it will not calcualte the grain + water volume in the MLT

StrangeBrew has a silly free trial that even when it is half deactivated, calculates MLT volumes, updates continuously and I can save my recipes. I have used it for 2 years, and the ghetto version of it is not nearly as clumsy as BeerSmith (the trial) is turning out to be for me.

Probably best for you to just stick with StrangeBrew or try ProMash :D

Yah, BeerSmith wont work for me.

#1. Tun volume required doesnt work.
#2. The tools on the left will not update when I update my recipe.
#3. The boil off rate is never a %... boil off is a constant and BeerSmith doesn't treat it as such.

I would even look into replacing what I have, except that I need a fully functional inventory list now with my last purchase from Brewmasters.

Is there a way to setup your recipe defaults in ProMash? Like final volume, boil rate etc? I am not seeing it.

The "water needed" icon Covers most of that. On the recipe page there is a box to lock ingredients to batch size. that helps, although I don't use it much as I always do 5 gallon batches.

Yeap, I set up all the defaults in ProMash and it works NICE! Much less cumbersome than BeerSmith. I like it, and it will track my inventory, which I need with 20 malts in stock, 8 hop varieties and yeast and spices as well.

It is nice, I think I am sold on ProMash

Yeap, I set up all the defaults in ProMash and it works NICE! Much less cumbersome than BeerSmith. I like it, and it will track my inventory, which I need with 20 malts in stock, 8 hop varieties and yeast and spices as well.

It is nice, I think I am sold on ProMash

Pol,

Give BTP 1.5.2 a whirl too; there's a free trial.

Jason

BeerToolsPro? Okay... I will play with that next! So far, ProMash is much nicer as far as user interface than BS... BeerSmith.

Beer Tools Pro... here we go!

BeerToolsPro? Okay... I will play with that next! So far, ProMash is much nicer as far as user interface than BS... BeerSmith.

Beer Tools Pro... here we go!

I think it will work well for you, and the ingredients DB is MASSIVE.

Bobby_M has some videos discussing the basics of setting a mash schedule, etc.

Yah, that is my question, how the hell do you set a mash schedule????

Got that.. but now I cannot get it to properly calculate my fly sparge... UGHHHH

Yah, that is my question, how the hell do you set a mash schedule????

Got that.. but now I cannot get it to properly calculate my fly sparge... UGHHHH

It's actually pretty simple once you get used to the interface.

Oh, and as an aside, make sure you pull ingredients from the 'my ingredients' subsection not the ingredients database in order for your inventory to deduct properly.

You add ingredients TO the my ingredients database using the main DB, but then use those ingredients to build your recipes. Took me a couple head-scratching moments to figure that out!

Pol:

Weird that you were having problems with water volumes, because BeerSmith DOES update my water volumes properly, and I've had no problems inputting step infusions. I'm guessing it's a problem with the UI not giving enough clues as to HOW to do what you want. I do recall having to mess around with BeerSmith in order to get it to do what I wanted.

Here's hoping BTP or ProMash works better. Like anything else in brewing, some tools work better for some people than others.

But, BeerSmith, if you read this thread, can we _please_ get a setting to allow boil-off as a fixed volume per time, rather than a percentage? Pretty please.

Pol:

Weird that you were having problems with water volumes, because BeerSmith DOES update my water volumes properly, and I've had no problems inputting step infusions. I'm guessing it's a problem with the UI not giving enough clues as to HOW to do what you want. I do recall having to mess around with BeerSmith in order to get it to do what I wanted.

Here's hoping BTP or ProMash works better. Like anything else in brewing, some tools work better for some people than others.

But, BeerSmith, if you read this thread, can we _please_ get a setting to allow boil-off as a fixed volume per time, rather than a percentage? Pretty please.

I think there must be an issue with the latest trial version, because it works fine for me. Pol is obviously a bright guy, somoene (ahem, BeerSmith) just needs to provide a registration key so he can experience the full version and make an informed decision. My $0.02 anyway...

Pol:

I never said that the WATER qty was off... but under MASH and DETAILS it shows "Tun Volume Required" This should be GRAIN + WATER... and it isnt, it only shows water. Also, yes, my Water Needed section never updated.... after 2 hours I gave up. I created a recipe and mash schedule with ProMash in 15 minutes.

ANYONE know how to set up a FLY SPARGE with BTP 1.5? I keeps giving me - water values... I cannot get it to work for the life of me. Already wasted 2 HOURS trying all sorts of different things, even searched google... nothing as how to set up the CONFUSING fly sparge editor. No wonder so many people batch sparge, they cant set up the darn fly sparge editor!

ANYONE know how to set up a FLY SPARGE with BTP 1.5? I keeps giving me - water values... I cannot get it to work for the life of me. Already wasted 2 HOURS trying all sorts of different things, even searched google... nothing as how to set up the CONFUSING fly sparge editor. No wonder so many people batch sparge, they cant set up the darn fly sparge editor!

I can try it, what are you trying to do? What is it not telling you?

I try to add a fly sparge and I am expecting it to calculate my sparge volume based on the "kettle volume" on the front page. I have my batch size LOCKED at 5.4 gallons, so with my boil rate and such it sayes at the top that I need 8.0 gallons in the kettle at 212F.

When I add the fly sparge it tells me nothing. If I try to LOCK the "collected" field it shows 7.71? Then above it is shows "available " -7.71 gallons in RED. It gives me some error... it is really weird, frustrating.

I have never seen anything so complicated for a simple fly sparge in my life!

Have you already built the schedule from mash-in through the sacc rest?

Yes, I added my equipent, MLT and BK... I also added a MASH IN and a REST at 150F. I then tried to add the Fly Sparge and it gets all messed up from that point on. It keeps showing negative values for the "available" value and giving me an error, saying to input a vaule greater than "0" which it will not allow me to do.

I looked in the help menu, and that was no help.

The frustrating part is that I downloaded ProMash and I was able to do all of this in 15 minuted flat with no instruction.

Hi,
I noticed you are having some problems Pol with BeerSmith. Let me know if I can help. I'm not sure if you noticed the "Brewsheet" but it basically shows you step by step how to brew the beer.

Also we do have a forum available for questions if you prefer.

Cheers,
Brad

I feel your pain. I started with Beer Tools. I couldn't get any use out of Beer Tools though as I had set up issues. I found it clunky and hard to use. Pro Mash was OK for me but I had some issues with it crashing. I didn't care much for the GUI either but it did work OK when it didn't crash on my machine. Tech support was virtually non-existent in my case. Thats what kept me from buying it. I am sure it was something simple that could of fixed my problem but would never hear back to an email.

I tried Beersmith and after getting it set up it works flawlessly for me. I am no expert though and have to hunt and click to find some features but thats because I never read any instructions or help files. I just hunt or look at their forum to find an answer to my question. The more I use it the easier it became. It didn't take long at all for me. I had no problem with it updating anything I changed or adding extras like certain mash schedules, etc. I love the program personally. I probably would of liked Pro Mash just as much if I could of got it to work for me. It looked pretty easy to use and pretty extensive.

Dude, your software is killing me! :D I know how to brew the beer, I currently use StrangeBrew, which I like because ALL of the calculators update if I change ANYTHING in my recipe. BeerSmith does not seem to.

It seems that when I update my recipe (malt ammounts), the water needed application on the left does not automatically update?

Also I really wish that boil off was a constant, not a %...

It just appears, from the trial version, that any time I change anything in my recipe, I have to go through and recalculate all of the calculators, which seems redundant. Am I missing something?

Hi,
The calculators (separate tools) are just that - separate tools for doing quick calculations. The recipe editor updates everything (color, IBUs, etc) as you enter data into your recipe. It shows you the estimates as you add stuff.

The boil off issue is one I'm working on for a future version.

If you want to see detailed statistics, the preview brewsheet option will give you step by step instructions on how to brew a given recipe.

Cheers,
Brad

Sharing the BeerSmith love :)

And when I update something (like malt amounts) it automatically changes calculations on estimated OG and FG, abv, color, etc. Or if I make a change in my method. Or equipment.

Thanks,

Jim

Brad,

is there an AG to extract w/grains conversion tool in BeerSmith?

Thanks,

Don

Don,
Yes, you can just choose a recipe in the "My Recipe" view and press the convert button. It lets you change all grain to extract in one step.

Cheers,
Brad

OP ?. I will be purchasing Beersmith. I'm going from Extract to PM, then AG.
There is a learning curve for all software programs, I expect it.

thats the same route that i did with beer smith and it works great. I am very happy with it. I am currently making my own recipes and it is a great way to track the costs and develop some good beer.

BeerSmith=:mug:

Hi,
The calculators (separate tools) are just that - separate tools for doing quick calculations. The recipe editor updates everything (color, IBUs, etc) as you enter data into your recipe. It shows you the estimates as you add stuff.

The boil off issue is one I'm working on for a future version.

If you want to see detailed statistics, the preview brewsheet option will give you step by step instructions on how to brew a given recipe.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad:

THANKS! That will make scaling batch sizes much easier.

Don,
Yes, you can just choose a recipe in the "My Recipe" view and press the convert button. It lets you change all grain to extract in one step.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks, Brad...I'll be purchasing this soon.

Just bought my copy, thanks Beersmith! Auto calculation of sparge water was worth it for me! ;-)

I was completely happy with IBrewmaster. One day the program froze because of a glitch associated with a calendar function. I emailed support, got a quick reply that it wood soon be fixed (It was)
In the meantime, I got a little impatient, bought Beersmith, and dang....the rest is history. Never realized what I was missing. IBrewmaster is great, Beersmith even more so.

All brewing software is just a database of ingredients and a list of simple equations. All the information is freely available, so you can make your own BeerSmith with 3-4 hours and a spreadsheet. I did it in Google Docs, and I use it for all my beers. Feel free to copy and use!

Back