Classic American Pilsner questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a lager for the first time, a CAP. 9 lbs 6 row, 2 lbs corn, sterling hops, WLP830. I just had a couple of questions:

1. Would you want to see a CAP on tap at a brew-pub? Do you think other people would, especially with a little info on the style provided?
2. My friend is growing a variety of white corn which was apparently the moonshiner's choice. Would this work for this brew?
3. Any general advice?

I love to see a cap on tap...wait...I have that most of the time. It goes over well with my friends.

Corn should be degerminated. The oils could be bad for head. I have used whole corn and not had any problem. It didn't seem to make it to packaging. I probably racked under it in primary and secondary.

I just finished lagering a CAP made with blue corn meal. It's bottled and not carbed yet, so I can't say for sure exactly how good it is, but first impressions are that it's GREAT. Blue corn seems to add a little more flavor and make it a little richer tasting. It was a lot of work though- you have to gelatinize blue corn.

Anyone else made a blue corn cap?

1. Would you want to see a CAP on tap at a brew-pub? Do you think other people would, especially with a little info on the style provided?

3. Any general advice?

I would like to see it on tap - if it is well made. I'm finding what I think are a bunch of sup-par versions out there. I suspect the brew pubs don't show them the love and care they do their ales.

As far as advice, just keep it simple. Pilsner malt, corn of some sort, perhaps a dash of wheat and then a simple hop schedule. I suspect some of the lagers I've had at brewpubs were probably made with pale malt. One can make a decent lager with pale malt, but I find they don't have quite the crispness I personally look for in a lager.

Was a good article on this style in BYO recently.

http://***********/component/resource/article/2527-classic-american-pilsner-style-profile

Back