Different scoby's/different culture/different tastes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie85017

Reaction score
Another post mentioned a store bought KT had certain "cultures" listed on the label.
So a scoby made from those dregs would make a KT that would taste more similar to the store one?
Do different scobys have different bugs/yeasts in them? Mine came from ebay. (Just sayin') Another scoby, made the same way I make the KT with my current scoby, would turn out a different tasting KT?

Yes, maybe.
It depends on more than just the SCOBY. Kombucha is more than a sum of its parts.
Differences in the cultures will produce different components in the finished product, but those products also depend on the materials you start off with.
If you and I both make a batch where everything is the same except for the sugar, we'll end up with different products with different flavors albeit subtle.
If you use Domino brand highly processed and probably GMO beet sugar, and I use organic evaporated cane sugar, even of the same volume, the end will be different. Any one thing you change, can change the outcome.
If you want to make a batch that tastes exactly like GT's, you'll need to make every condition exactly like GT's conditions. If your ambient air has a flavor or aroma to it, your batch will be different. Kombucha is a hugely complex, organic machine, in very small containers lol

The more I learn about it, the more I am amazed.
GMO beets. Oh, great. Never thought of that. C+H says "cane", so I looked it up. Very little cane sugar is GMO. There is so much to know, I could spend all day looking things up!
Thanks for replying.

Back