Little leftover ingredient recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duck911

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have some leftovers in my beer fridge:

6 lbs golden light liquid malt extract
4 oz Cascade pellets
1 oz Cascade whole hops
6 oz crystal 60l
Safeale US-05

Is it reasonable to think I could put together a basic, light pale ale with what I have above? Any thoughts on hop amounts/boil times? I am an extract brewer and will be boiling 3 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.

Much appreciated!

--Duck911

Go for it! Though I don't see how the 60L would fit the light pale ale bill if you color inside the lines, but <0.5# of 60L wouldn't darken it too much.
Brewing by strict guidelines isn't how I roll, however. Some do, some don't.
You could do an ounce for bittering, then make the rest late additions like 15 mins, 5 mins, flameout, and dry hop etc. Should be a good session pale ale.

yeah, i say bitter with the 1 oz of whole hops, then do an addition at 15, 5, 0 and dryhop. Bam. instant classic.

Yeah, you can certainly make a nice pale ale with these ingredients. In a light colored pale ale I do not want a lot of sweetness. The head should be minimal, and the mouthfeel should be light but with a little sharpness from the carbonation.

I would not use all of the malt. I would also encourage stepping up to full boils as the recipe formulation is easier.

This is how I would go forward with this one.

1 gallon @ 160 added to grain for a steep temp in the 154 range. after 5 minutes stir grain bag to help release sugar. maintain for 15-30 minutes, remove grain and keep as much water as possible, but do not disturb grain to much.

Add 2 gallons water or however much is needed to achieve about 3.25 gallons after extract is added too.

Bring to boil.

add 60 min Hops

Add extract with heat low or off. Start boil timer of 60 mins.

Maintain boil.

Add other hop addition at 15 min

Turn off heat at the end of boil

Wait a moment until wort cools slightly...add Aroma hops for steeping

Set 20 min timer

Cool wort to 77 degrees... add to 2 gallons of 55 degree top off water in carboy resulting in a 68 degree temp. Add yeast

Ferment 2 weeks in primary and then keg or bottle. If kegging and the wort has maintained a low protein content you can boost PSI slightly for a more carbonated beer.

This is the recipe on paper that I would use.

OG 1.047 (my system) SRM 6.1 IBU 34

6 # Light Extract
4 oz crystal 60

cascade 1 oz @ 60 min
cascade 1 oz @ 15 min
cascade 2 oz @ flameout
(optional) cascade 1 oz DH for an additional 7 days in secondary fermenter.

good luck.

Update:

I ended up with a really good, extremely drinkable beer. I LOVE it when that happens :ban:

I more or less followed HopLife's instructions for the boil, with the following exceptions:

1) Didn't dry hop
2) My last hop addition was simply in the wort for as long as it took to cool my wort after flameout. (probably about 20 min). So I didn't go 20 min followed by cooling my wort, if that makes sense.

14 days in the primary, then forced carbed over a week or two but had some other beer to drink so just now pouring off this keg.

Adding this one to the recipe book.

I really appreciate the help!

--Duck911

Back