WYeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanibel14

Reaction score
Just got done brewing an IPA. The direct pitch activator didn't get popped for the 3 hours prior as the instructions ask for. Just took it out of fridge and let it sit on counter until it was time to pitch. Realized I had messed up but just went ahead and popped it and dumped it in 5 gallons of wort. What can happen? Can I die from this:cross::

:off: But since the smack pack has the nutrient packet in it. Is it pointless to use them and make a starter? Isn't the point of the activator to start the yeast? I used my first smack pack. Dunno if I'll return to it. I do like white labs yeast strains.

:off: But since the smack pack has the nutrient packet in it. Is it pointless to use them and make a starter? Isn't the point of the activator to start the yeast? I used my first smack pack. Dunno if I'll return to it. I do like white labs yeast strains.

The activator just lets you know if you have viable yeast, like proofing dry yeast. I make a starter for every liquid yeast because of better pitching rates and I have no idea how long it sat in a 120 degree truck being shipped out to here. No it's not needed but it's a good way to get good healthy yeast ready for beer. And with a starter you will always know if you're pitching dead yeast without waiting 2-3 days with no signs.

The activator just lets you know if you have viable yeast, like proofing dry yeast. I make a starter for every liquid yeast because of better pitching rates and I have no idea how long it sat in a 120 degree truck being shipped out to here. No it's not needed but it's a good way to get good healthy yeast ready for beer. And with a starter you will always know if you're pitching dead yeast without waiting 2-3 days with no signs.

OK thanks, it was just a thought.

Latest posts

Back