Pressing apples from grocery store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oter

Reaction score
Everything I read online about pressing your own apples for cider references people using the apples they grow are going to an orchard for fallen "cider" apples.

Question is, can I just buy apples from the grocery and press them? Google is failing me on this one.

Thanks

Yes, my first cider was done with grocery store apples. However, this is the expencive way to go.

The MOST expensive way to go. 60 pounds of apples gave me 4 gallons of juice. That's even after freezing. You're better off paying 10 bucks a gallon for cider from an orchard or mill. Unless you can find apples for less than 50 cents a pound...

I see. The orchards around here charge close to 7 dollars a pound for apples. and make their own cider, so the don't sell the downed apples. Whole foods it is then. At least it comes with a 1 gallon glass carboy.

Yes, but "organic" doesn't mean you fertilize with gold dust and water it with the tears of a unicorn... $7 per pound is ridiculous! :confused:

You could always ask what the per pound price is for windfall apples. These are essentially the ones that are picked off the ground. Should be a much better price and be slightly more ripe than picked apples. Just make sure to nuke the cider with campden tablets. Also, don't use mushy or crushed windfalls, as there is a slight possibility of e-coli infection.

There must have been a miscommunication then. I thought it sounded outrageous as well.

7 bucks a bushel (44lbs) for cider apples might be what they meant.
Cider apples should be #2 grade (small and ugly) but still on the tree.
"Drops" and "windfall's" should be animal feed and deer bait.

you can still buy the lesser drops cheaper, but risk a potential pathogenic bloom.

$7/peck may be reasonable for organic apples.

If you ask about buying fallen apples, remember that it is illegal to sell drops for human consumption in the country (even for cider). So be sure to mention your pet deer or fruit bats.

Latest posts

Back