Looking for a brew the SWMBO would like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabledawg

Reaction score
I want to brew a beer for SWMBO. She not really a beer drinker but hopefully I can brew up something that she will like. She only complains about the bitter bite of normal beer. So a overly hopped recipe would not go well. She would like a beer that is slightly sweet, fruity and a bit spicey. I know this is a tall order but it was worth a try.
BTW I am only setup to do extract brewing with steeping grains, might be albe to do a partial mash.

My wife was never a big beer fan, drinking just the occasional light lager or fruit beer (she also doesn't like the Pale Ale family because of the hop bitterness). Then she discovered Chimay Blue, and she is crazy about that stuff. Pick up a bottle and see how your SWMBO likes that. AHS has a clone recipe for Chimay Blue that I am about to brew with my wife.
Also, while not a beer, she also really enjoys a good mead - pick up bottle of Red Stone Mead and see how that goes over with your SWMBO. Meads are pretty easy to make process-wise, it's just important to use excellent-quality ingredients and have a lot of patience.

No lagers then, SWMBO really likes mead also.

I made her a few wheat beers, and she really likes my triple believe it or not.

Make BierMunchers Centennial Blonde recipe. I just tapped a keg of it. My wife's not a beer drinker and really liked it.

Thanks for all the input. After some serious thought and asking her question, i have decided to try and find a low hop, sightly sweet, blue berry beer recipe. Any one got one they would like to share?

I'm thinking as much as we all like to brew, maybe sampling some bottles before committing to brewing 5 gallons that you might very well end up drinking.

I've given up on my wife drinking beer. She likes wine and champagne but does not like any beer I have ever been able to get her to sample...

Just a thought..

The only beer my wife likes, if you call it that, is Lindemann's Lambic. Her favorite is Raspberry. Based on what you wrote I'd say the two have similar tastes.

I don't want the Brett infecting my equipment so I'll stick to buying for now, plus it takes a year to do it right.

I know most people say that "Foster's is Australian for piss" but oddly enough i had a Foster's clone which was done correctly which was a good beer with a kind of a champagne like quality, had a good ABV too like 10%... it was a really good australian style lager and i really would like to make some my self, but my buddy who made it moved and i dont have his number for his recipe... you might try somthing like that, it was a really good beer... i still have dreams about it, one of the few beers in my life i think i would like to drink over and over again.

Cheers

I think a wit would be perfect for what you describe. This will benefit from a partial mash (which will let you include some unmalted wheat + oats), but you can get close with just extract. As long as you have orange peel, coriander, and a Belgian wit yeast, you can't go too far wrong. Easy, quick, and delicious. My only complaint is that I rarely get to drink any, as my partner pretty much instantly empties any I put in the fridge :)

Back