Where to buy Gluten Free Whole Millet (with husk) for malting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpirius

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone have a good resource for Gluten Free Whole Millet (with hulls)? I'm interested in malting my own millet for GF beer. I've read a lot about it, but I can't find a place to by whole millet grains with the hulls.

This is the closest I've found:

www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprouting/millet_seed.htm

You can get up to 35 pounds of whole millet, but it is processed in a facility with wheat, and my cousin is very sensitive.

I would really appreciate a good source. Even better would be a local source around Portland, Oregon ;)

Thanks for your help

I'm not sure the hulls matter. If you can get a small quantity of hulled, try malting it, see what happens. Also, by the time it's been soaked and rinsed a few times in the malting, then roasted, I'd be surprised if any cross-contamination was still left.
I'm just starting experimenting with millet, and I'm getting it in 2kilo bags from an Asian grocery (if I have the conversion right, about 50cents/pound). We have loads of them in England, dunno if you do in Oregon.
If I wanted to do large amounts though, I'd maybe be looking at petfood suppliers: it's used for feed for birds.

local feed store x2
i also have a grain supplier around. theres a thread talking of a malting house that will be selling it malted

Latest posts

Back