Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another picture. The precipitate is swirling around like a tornado inside. Ambient temperature is 55F. The thermometer on the side of the carboy reads 64. Whoa!!

image-1455761331.jpg

Happily drinking my way through the first batch of this. Brewed the extract version and it has turned out great. Been a little of two months since brewing it. Very malty and has a nice sweetness to it.

A+

I just transferred into secondary and took a FG sample. Wow, delicious. Mine bottomed out at 1015, making this a wopping 8.73%. Awesome. (OG = 1078)

I used 2 extra lbs of 2-row pale malt just for this reason.

Even though it has relatively high ABV, the pacman yeast worked it's ass off and left no fusel alcohols or "hot" flavors. So clean. I think pacman is my new favorite yeast!

Can't wait to bottle and carb this stuff. Thanks again Yooper!

I just finished mine and had my first taste so I ran to the super market and picked up a dead guy to compare it was really close only thing I could tell diffrence was the real stuff had a strong hop aroma and flavor I was thinking of making it again and dry hopping it.....

I think I need to calibrate my thermometer just checked the gravity and the beer is at 1.008, super dry. The sample tasted ok but not the malt bomb I was hoping for.

Also the Pliny clone I did the same day finished at 1.004.

Sounds fishy. That's super dry. What did you mash at?

I am willing to bet your hydrometer isn't calibrated...

I checked my hydrometers this morning and both read 1.000 in tap water @ 60F. I also work in a calibration lab and have access to a temperature calibration fixture and checked my thermometer today and it reads +1C +/-.05C high. I measured my mash temp @ 158, which with the calibration is actually 156, so it should still be high enough to prevent the beer from drying out too much.

As for the yeast, I used some harvested Pacman, a 1.5L starter, shook the carboy for the oxygen. Fermentation temp was ~64F, in a basement, no temperature control.

Oh well still beer, and not too bad. I will take some more time on my next batch and see if I get the same kind of attenuation.

Anyone try using all saaz for the flavor/aroma additions? I don't have any perle on hand and I figure I could get away with using magnum or similar for bittering.

I placed my order for the ingredients and just realized I ordered Dark Munich (20L) instead of regular Munich...yup, that's what I get for rushing! I wanted to brew this within the next couple of days, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice...go ahead and use the Dark Munich in a different proportion, sub with something I have on hand (Vienna, Victory, Melanoiden, various crystal malts), or just put off brewing until I get some Munich? I know the answer is probably hold off, but hoping against hope I don't have to! :)

I placed my order for the ingredients and just realized I ordered Dark Munich (20L) instead of regular Munich...yup, that's what I get for rushing! I wanted to brew this within the next couple of days, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice...go ahead and use the Dark Munich in a different proportion, sub with something I have on hand (Vienna, Victory, Melanoiden, various crystal malts), or just put off brewing until I get some Munich? I know the answer is probably hold off, but hoping against hope I don't have to! :)

Go ahead and use the dark Munich! It will be really good, just "deeper" flavored and colored.

I made the all grain version with wyeast 1338 as no Pacman was available at the time. :mad:

Due to a complete mental failure on my part during the brewing process, I accidently mashed at 148. Oops. :drunk:

Not that it seems to have mattered much. This yeast is SLOW. I made a nice healthy starter off a stir plate with fresh yeast so I'm sure it wasn't under-pitched or old. Now maybe it's because I don't have an oxygenation system (i just dump from bucket to bucket) or maybe it's because the yeast is grumpy because I called his girlfriend fat, but after fermenting at 62-63 for 2 weeks I, have been sitting at 1.027 for three consecutive days now. Too sweet. After tomorrow it will be sitting alongside tomorrows brew at 68.

If it doesn't drop a few more points I'm going to kick it in the nuts. :p

what are you going to do if the SG doesn't drop anymore?

I only ask because I'm having the same issue with S-04.

I'm going to shake my fists in anger at the beer gods. Honestly there's not much more I CAN do except let it sit. I know it hasn't dropped in three days but i'm not convinced the fermentation is quite done. It's just going REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY SLOW. I'm raising the temp on it right now and will dedicate a morning and evening ritual of sloshing it around to stir up that lazy yeast. It will be up to 68F by tomorrow evening when I throw whatever I brew tomorrow in the chamber with it. I think that will also encourage this yeast do it's damn job.

have you thought about pitching another strain of yeast?

I have considered it. I'd really rather not if I don't have to. I'll give it a few more weeks at a higher temp and regularly check the gravity. If it still doesn't budge I may throw in some US-05. That's a big MAY. I might just drink it as is. :mug:

I have considered it. I'd really rather not if I don't have to. I'll give it a few more weeks at a higher temp and regularly check the gravity. If it still doesn't budge I may throw in some US-05. That's a big MAY. I might just drink it as is. :mug:

Whats the downside of pitching a packet of US-05??

I'm in the same position, and still considering both..

Has anyone ever done this as a 2.5g BIAB? I'm looking to do my first Ag experiment with this and if anyone has any tips... :)

Whats the downside of pitching a packet of US-05??

I'm in the same position, and still considering both..

The downside is that it isn't the recipe I wanted to make.

I'm convinced that it's still working, just extremely slowly. After swirling the carboy yesterday afternoon, the krausen fell into the beer. This morning when I checked, there was a brand new krausen sitting on top. The yeast is definitely still doing it's work. I'm going to stop checking gravity as I don't want to risk oxygenating the beer when I swirl the carboy. I'll just let it sit another two weeks at 68F, swirling every day or two, and hope for the best.

Making this now. Extract version. So Im assuming when you say steep grains at 155 for 30 mins means get water to 155 then start the 30 min clock? Or steep from the start until you reach 155 within 30 mins? Can someone clarify?

EDIT
I found out i think its get to 155 and hold temp for 30 mins Sorry for the post.

Ok In the Primary now! I followed yooper's recipe to the letter except I used us-05 yeast. I added all 7lbs DME post boil :D OG was 10.71. Glad I decided to make the Dead Guy Ale for a family party on a month or so! Thanks Yooper for posting the recipe! Tasted great pre yeast :)

First time posting and I've only brewed one batch so far which was using extract. I'm assuming this is a 3 gallon boil the first batch I did used liquid extract and was told to add cold water after boil just curious if I need to do the same here. Please be nice😜

if you mean topping off the wort to 5 gallons. yes. Cold water is generally used to get you temp down to about 70 degrees or below before pitching your yeast. I take the pot off the burner and have a sink filled with cold ice water to put the pot into so the temp drops to about 120 or less, then remove the pot from the water and pour into my primary, next add the cool water to top of and get to about 70 or a lil less.

Gigan said:
if you mean topping off the wort to 5 gallons. yes. Cold water is generally used to get you temp down to about 70 degrees or below before pitching your yeast. I take the pot off the burner and have a sink filled with cold ice water to put the pot into so the temp drops to about 120 or less, then remove the pot from the water and pour into my primary, next add the cool water to top of and get to about 70 or a lil less.

Thank you very much

not related to dead guy... (which I love)... but I've been trying william's extracts for a while now and some of the FGs have remained a little high (OG of 1.055 might only drop to FG 1.024 depending on the type of extract... i.e. the nut brown remains higher than the amber which hit FG 1.018)...

anyway... I have considered throwing in a pack of champagne yeast after the first week or so to see what happens... I have a friend who brews his "holiday porter" this was and it's damn good... used to be a little too sweet, but the yeast solved that problem.

Made this on Monday (extract). OG ended up around 1.076 - overestimated boil off with new gear. Dead guy is great. Can't wait for this to be ready!

Yooper - do you think the base grain of Marris Otter vs. 2-Row imparts a different flavor? If so, what?

Yooper said:
Dead Guy Clone

1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees for 30 minutes. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

1 tsp Irish Moss 15 minutes or Whirlfloc

I used pacman yeast. If pacman is not available, try 1056 (American Ale yeast).

o.g. was 1.066
f.g. was 1.018

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Edit- More "slight" changes!

For AG, I find that I like this recipe best:

10 pounds maris otter
1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Mash at 156-158 for 45 minutes or until conversion. Sparge to get up to boil volume.

Hops:
1 ounce Perle 60 minutes
.25 ounce perle 30 minutes
.25 ounce perle 5 minutes
.25 ounce saaz 5 minutes

Shoot for an IBU range of 30-35. My perle hops have been all over the map as far as AAUs go- I have some that are 9.3% and some that are 6.9%, so you may need to adjust these amounts.

Yooper maybe a dumb question but when you say you substituted all for XLDME does that mean that you did not use the the Alexander pale LME and used a full 8lbs of XLDME

Wow. Rushed this with 10 days fermentation and two days carbing in the keg and it WENT! My people loved it. Thanks for sharing Yooper!

Yooper maybe a dumb question but when you say you substituted all for XLDME does that mean that you did not use the the Alexander pale LME and used a full 8lbs of XLDME

I just can't remember anymore, I"m afraid. I don't remember if I used just xtra light for the DME or for the whole batch. I've made it a number of times, and I just don't remember.

Yooper what do you like better between your lakefront ipa and you DFH 6o min IPA? Looking for a great IPA to try.

Yooper what do you like better between your lakefront ipa and you DFH 6o min IPA? Looking for a great IPA to try.

Oh, man. That's like asking a guy if he prefers blondes or redheads! :D

I love them both. I'm drinking the 60 min right now (at this very moment) but I love the Lakefront clone also. I also like the Surly Furious clone I've done. They are all excellent, but very different. :D

The DFH clone is more "bright", less sweet. The Lakefront has a bit of residual sweetness that plays well with the hops. They are just very different, but I'd say that I like them about equally.

I'm sure I didn't help you a bit. :p

No you did good :) I just brewed another batch of the dead guy clone since my family wiped me out and I think I'll do the Lake Front next. Thanks!

Doing the All grain version of this. LBS only had WLP001, I'm hoping this yeast is as good as pacman. Going to be brewing this on Friday.

Latest posts

Back