Tweaked Procedure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
This is what I do:

Dump 6kg pale into a 5 gallon bucket and 250g crystal for caramelization.
Cover with enough water that you have some good headspace.
Heat with electric filament until the water at the top starts to boil, periodically stirring at intervals.
Switch off the filament, and reattach it to the wort bucket with the tap and tie the mash bag around.
Dump the gains into the mash bag and maintain the temperature at 64C for another hour. Not so much heating is required for this second step. The wort should be very sugary tasting by now.
Collect the first few litres of wort, and return to the top of the grain bed.
Do some rotating sparging using hot, but not really steamy water. In total you collect maybe 5.5 gallons of wort. Give the filament a good clean etc before starting the next step, and make sure u have some spare plug fuses on hand just in case.
Heat the wort up real good and dump half a packet (~60g) decent freezedried hop flowers. The 6% variety I use (progress) gives good characteristics. Continue boiling until you are satisfied that you have extracted most of the bitterness and have a rolling boil.

The rest is standard procedure.

It sounds a little none specific but it simalar to the Aussie boil in the bag method.
Boiling any grain is not really a good idea but that small an amount may not releas too many tannins.
64c sound a little low to me (I like malty) but it seems like it works for you.

Where did you learn this technique?

Its a way of getting homogenous heating throughout the grain bed.

When u heat the water at the top above the grains, the digital thermometer reading is always low even though the temperature of the water is much hotter than this to touch, and is physically boiling. It's because the grains underneath it are alot cooler.

After you transfer it to the grain bag though and continue heating underneath it, everything is then mixed up real swell and it works very nicely.

This comes from the fact if u just heat from underneath it from cold, the thermometer is much less stable. First it jumps up from like 58C to 62C, then can overshoot all the way up to like 70C. Then you stir it around and its back to 58C again in no time. Thats because of heterogenity.

By my method though, the whole pudding is kept very HOMOGENOUS, and thus is just an interesting spin on things that I have been personally developing.

Also with 6KG grains in the mash bag, you really get to have some fun with the sparge. You only need like half as much water, but you really see the real deal whereas when I was using only the crappy 6 pounds of grain watery beer was sickly. You will have a cow of a time with bumper payloads.

Back