Yeast starter length of time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
Just pitched my yeast into my starter. Only going to be about 18 hours till I pitch it into my beer. Is that enough time for my starter to build? Started later than I normally would have.

It's dependent on the SG of your starter and what type of yeast. However, in any case...

You'll be actively fermenting but your cell count won't be as high as you were aiming for. If you pitch your entire starter, you'll be better off than if you'd just pitched the smack pack or vial.

If you can wait another day, you'll be better off, but it sounds like you can't. I think you'll be fine since you're gonna have actively fermenting yeast, but a little different/off from expectations.

RDWHAHB, you'll be good. BTW, I have a friend who pitches a single smack pack (w/o starter) and is happy with his brews while being ridiculously anal about water chemistry and types of grains. So, to each his own, I guess. On brews we've done together, I've had to insist on using more yeast, sometimes to no avail.

Yeah. Your good. If its a high gravity wort you may need more time. Also depends on the style you made. But I bet you"ll be fine. Cheers

Latest posts

Back