Question: Measuring Dextrose - Grams to Cups/ML

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I'm going to try brewing Coopers IPA kit. The recipe calls for 500g Light Dry Malt ("LDM") and 300g Dextrose ("Dex").

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/ale/ipa

Included in the kit is a package of 500g LDM and 1kg of Dex. My measuring cup is in Milliliters and Cups. I realize the conversion is going from weight to volume.

I read that the conversion from Grams to Milliliters is almost 1:1. Also Googled this and someone converted 300g of granulated sugar = 1.565 cups in US and British Kitchen Units and 1.543 cups in Metric (European) Kitchen Units.

Are these figures reliable?

What would be the best way to measure out 300g of Dex from the 1KG package?

You're figures look ROUGHLY accurate, but honestly, buy a kitchen scale. You'll find TONS of uses for it around the kitchen, even if you don't use it to brew again, and they cost next to nothing. Certainly they cost less than a wasted batch of beer.

Granulated table sugar and dextrose aren't going to weigh the same per volume, the dextrose is a much finer grain and probably weighs more. If you need 300g out of a 1000g bag, you can probably eyeball it (take 30% of the dextrose). +1 for the kitchen scale too, I love mine and use it all the time now.

I would eyeball it without a scale as well. Maybe take 3 containers, fill them equally, there's your 1/3rd-ish that you need.

Seriously. Get a kitchen scale. You can find them at Shop-Rite.

[looks left at location]

Dude, if you're that hard up, you can borrow mine. :D

Cheers,

Bob

How did this turn out for u? I am doing the same kit right now, it seems pretty basic, I'm Boiling all 5 gallons and goint to cook for 1 hour like I do with other malts, however coopers say's to boil 2 liters mix malt and top up fermentor with room temp water. Seems a little un-complicated.

I too am trying to figure out the 300 g of sugar conversion. I think I will just add 5 oz and see what that does. I am not going to buy a scale just for this brew, but will go to harborfreight and get thiers for 7.00 in future.

Back