Lager Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwwalthall

Reaction score
Never tried to make a lager before. Making an all-grain Oktoberfest. Pitched with wyeast bohemian lager. Has been in primary at 54 deg for the past week. Didn't really notice a strong CO2 coming off the blow off. After 5 days, noticed what appeared to be true at the bottom, similar to my experience with ales. Pulled today and took gravity reading and it's the same as when I put it into primary, 1.064. Tasted beer and it's still sweet, without any noticeable sign of contamination. So I put the blow off back on, and put it back into the fridge at 54deg. So their than absolutely nothing happening the last week, any ideas on what's gone wrong? Appreciate your time.

Not sure on the age. Didn't check packet. Bought from local HBS. Did make a starter. Smacked and got it going. Made starter of 4 cups water and 8tblsp table sugar. Boiled, cooler and then added. Let sit for 6 hours before pitching.

So are you saying you only made the starter 6 hours before pitching into your lager? And you did it with table sugar? Jeesh. I hate to sound negative but you probably didn't 'start' much of anything. At this point, if the fermentation hasn't taken off I would try a new approach.

The good part is it sounds like your beer is still in good shape. Go pick up a pack of dry lager yeast (actually make that 2 packs), re-hydrate it, and then pitch and then I hope you'll be golden.

PS - there is a lot of good info on this forum about making starters, particularly with lagers. You'll want to make big ones, especially for a big lager like you did.

Sounds OK except your starter sounds a bit unorthodox. I think most people use light dme, myself included. Do you use a stir plate or any other method to help your starter along? I usually use a 2L starter on lagers and see fermentation within 24 hours. I would give it a few more days and if nothing happens try re-pitching. I would Google how to make starters with dme. That may help.

Ha! Yeah the table sugar was prob not the best move. Ok I'll watch a couple more days then try re-pitching.

image-465408696.jpg

Btw this is what it looks like now.

Looks ok (I think). But if it's been 5+ days since your original pitch, chancing of it starting up are very slim. Don't know that I would gamble and wait any longer. A couple packets of Saflager W-34/70 is probably what you need. Just re-iterating. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back