NOOB Drunkin Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89OctaneStang

Reaction score
OK. Sorry for the long thread but this might turn into a "my first infection thread". As I was waiting on the water to boil for sterilized water in my fermentation bucket, I started drinking. Seems that it took a little longer than it should because when I got started I was feelin good :D

This is only my third brew so with some liquid encouragement I felt like I was a pro. Which MIGHT lead to some unfortunate turnouts for this one.

The objective was to brew a Sam Adams Boston Ale. I found the recipe on our website:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sam-adams-boston-ale-clone-brew-4791/index2.html

Well, I attempted to follow it but got confused on the mash times and temps. As it reads, I first thought that I was to mash for thirty minutes then boil and brew for the rest at the suggested times and temps. But it took a few more beers to realize my thinking was incorrect. So I actually mashed for 30 minutes at about 137*, removed the grains, steeped, realized I was wrong, put grains back in bag and into the wort, mashed for 15 min at 150*, 10 min at 160* and 10 min at 170*. Hope this did not mess up the actual brew.

And to top it off, I got my LME from my LHBS and they give it to you in a sealed plastic bag. Well... As I was heating up my malt, the bag busted in the warm water. So I ended up turning up the temp and melting it down in that pan then adding it to the wort once it came to a boil. :tank: Just one more thing to add to this that wasn't supposed to happen.

The target OG was 1.048 - 1.050. Well somehow I met the target and ended up with an OG of 1.048. We shall see in several weeks how this turns out!

:mug:

Oh yeah, and when I racked it into my fermenting bucket, I iced it too long and it ended up being pitched at 50*. Now, as for the first part of this thread, I think it might end up ok. Maybe not a Boston Ale, but a good taste to the pallet. But if it has any problems, I think it will occur because of the pitch temp. Any thoughts?

Your pitch temp shouldn't cause a problem. If anything, it would cause it to be cleaner tasting.

As far as the mashing, it's an interesting question, and I'm not exactly sure what you'll get, but in theory, at 137 you shouldn't have been converting to sugar but just breaking down proteins. At 150 you would be converting to sugar, but not very long. But I think it will probably be ok because some people say they get a complete conversion in 20-30 minutes. All the time the temperature was rising from 140-150 it would be converting, plus the 15 minutes, plus the time it took to rise from 150-158. All together it would be sufficient time probably. Maybe not as good as holding it for the 60 minutes, but good enough.

Back