Unpastureized Cider for Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Will this work instead of using apple juice? Also what really are the differences between a cider and an apfelwein.

I'm new to cider, but I believe campden suppresses yeast and bacterial growth. It's effects are limited though, so when you pitch your fresh healthy liquid or rehydrated yeast 24-48hours later, it out grows and outperforms anything else already in the juice.

I believe the only difference in hard cider and apfelwein is the strength, ergo, apfelwein uses adjuncts like sugar to boost the ABV. In German, apple wine, implying winelike strength.

the difference between apfelwein and cider is academic.

Cider in america is unfiltered fresh apple juice, in England it isn't cider until there is alcohol in it. Apfelwein is usually allowed to clear over long periods, but you can drink it young like a few hard ciders.

Yeast plays a big part in what is considered wine/cider. wine yeasts and champagne yeast dry out what they are put into leaving little residual sugar, sweet cider yeasts tend to leave some sugars floating around to balance out the alcohol.

I personally wouldn't consider apfelwein a wine until its a) 8%+ or b) including grapes/raisins etc. Lower than that id say cider for sure! I get your point with yeast, but I've fermented cider with champagne yeast before and considered it a cider :)

Back