NB Winter Warmer - Priming Sugar ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
I am bottling a batch of Northern Brewer's Winter Warmer (link below) and not sure how much priming sugar to use. They call the style: "British/American Strong Ale, Irish and Scottish Ales" so using various calculators I am getting between 2.3oz and 3.5oz dextrose for bottling.

Anyone else make this batch? If so, about how much did you use?

we are at 62 degrees and just over 5 gallons of beer.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/winter-warmer-extract-kit.html

What style do you prefer, the lightly carbonate British style or the heavily carbonated American style. 2.3 ounces of priming sugar would be very lightly carbonated, 3.5 would be moderate, 4.5 would be more like American style.

Hackwood - Most (if not all) beer kits seem to recommend 5oz of sugar, I think it is because that is how they package the sugar. Advised from other brewers, I have been using online calculators to find a more accurate amount of sugar when bottling.

RM-MN - I think with this beer, I want it lightly carbed. I think I will do around 3oz and see how that works out.
Cold up North in Solway? Think we'll have some decent ice fishing this year?

Cold up North in Solway? Think we'll have some decent ice fishing this year?

Of course not. It was a nice balmy -4 this morning. I'm concerned with the water level on my favorite lake which is normally pretty shallow and was about 2 feet lower than usual last I was there.

Of course not. It was a nice balmy -4 this morning. I'm concerned with the water level on my favorite lake which is normally pretty shallow and was about 2 feet lower than usual last I was there.

water levels lost a lot the end of this year. I fish Mille Lacs a lot, and it finally was gaining some ground(or water) last year after losing a lot of water for most of the 2000's.

Hopefully with a shallow lake you don't have a bad winter kill. Good luck, thanks for the post!

From the Recipe:

Mix a priming solution of 2/3 cup priming sugar in 16 oz water. Bring the solution to a
boil and pour into the bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back