Aeration after pitching yeast (Question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTUBREW

Reaction score
In today's brewing I accidentally aerated (poured wort back and forth between fermenting bucket and brew pot) immediately AFTER pitching yeast instead of before I pitched the yeast. Am I going to have issues because of this?

No, it will be fine. If you do a group brew (like teach a neaighbor to brew day, or at a friends) and pitch the yeast then proceed to drive home with your fermenter, you are pretty much doing the same thing. And many of us do that quite a lot...and I have never had any problems. Even sloshig the wort for an hour or more in the car.

I know this is an old post but I have a follow up question.

I am doing a group brew on a Saturday and will pitch my yeast as soon as possible. However I will not be able to return home with my fermenter until the next day. So the yeast will have had a little time to start working. I assume I have increased my chances of oxidation, but is it to the point of being a problem?

still not likely to be an issue. if the yeast have produced enough CO2 to fill the headspace, it's a complete non-issue. If they haven't started yet, you're just aerating and helping them to divide. If somewhere in between, you may get increased diacetyl, but the yeast will clean up in time. they are superb oxygen scavengers.

another option is to just not pitch the yeast til the next day.

as long as you have a sanitary environment, it should be fine. maybe not 'ideal' since it does increase the 'lag time' of tastey wort for bacteria and mold spores.

I've not pitched til the next day a few times when my brew day ended late in the summer and I couldn't get the immersion chiller to get it cold enough to pitch that night.

Personally I'd just wait to pitch until the drive home, but it won't be an issue either way I don't think. BuzzCraft's got the right idea.

Aerating with significant amounts of oxygen after fermentation has taken is the major issue. That's when you start to see the cardboard flavors of oxidation.

On the other hand, I've got a couple recipes for big, dark beers (like RIS) that require moderate aeration 24 hours after fermentation has started to assist in the huge task ahead of the yeast. Also, in controlled cases, aeration of dark, complex beers can further promote sherry and date-like flavors.

But i agree with everyone else - the circumstances noted above shouldn't be worried about.

Back