Best way to keep keezer from freezing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turlian

Reaction score
Since it got down to around -4°F last night, I've started to think about the best way to keep my keezer from freezing in my garage. After much searching on here there seems to be three main methods people use:

1. Light bulb
2. Ceramic heater
3. Reptile tank heating pad.

I'm leaning towards the light bulb for simplicity sake, but does anybody have a strong opinion either way about any of these? The reptile pad seems nice from a space saving perspective.

Also, any thoughts on wattage for the bulb? I'm thinking of trying a 100W and seeing how it goes.

I prefer the heat wraps. Tape them to the inside and they take up practically no space. You can make your own cheaper than the fermwraps some HBS' sell. I built two for about $15 each using this site:

Flexwatt Heat Tape

Everyone has a spare lamp laying around. Start with a 40W and use a thermometer to monitor. You'll be surprised how much heat a bulb can emit in a closed container.

Maybe one of these so you don't have to open the lid:

Thermometer.JPG

What width & length did you go with?

I went with the 11" width and about 2ft, which is pretty much the same size as the Fermwraps. You'll also need the wire/clip/insulator set. If you have an old extension cord lying around you can cut the outlet end off and use that in place of the wire they sell. Then just get the clip/insulator set and save about $2.

EDIT: This may go without saying, but you'll need some kind of temperature controller with this. I was working on the assumption that you have some kind of temp control device...

Yeah, already have the dual-stage controller going. Just don't have anything plugged into the "heat" side.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, already have the dual-stage controller going. Just don't have anything plugged into the "heat" side.

Thanks for the info!

Which controller are you using for this? I am in the same situation. I have a chest freezer that has not been converted with the keezer collar. I currently use a basic freezer/fridge controller with the dial you turn to set the temp. I live in ND and now my freezer/keezer is getting too cold. I am looking for advise as well on the best way to control the temps to keep kegs from freezing during our winters.

Back