Hello from Colorado

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbalist

Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/gluten-free-newbie-218854/

As I hate being "that" person with the strange diet, it's difficult for me to talk about being gluten-free. But it does the body good, never been disease free for so long. Beer was the hardest thing to give up. There's a couple good ones out there, I'm really lucky to have the Fort Collins, CO-based "New Planet". It's a nice sorgum beer. All the darks that I like come from Belgium, are millet-based, and cost $5.99/pint.

So here I go, armed with very little knowledge, jumping into yet another hobby, and trying to do some good.

I got Stephen Buhner's book: Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation. It's pretty interesting and has helped to simplify the process for my overly scientific and inquisitive (Dr. Vet Med) mind. So I started basic with a walk around my woods and a raid of the sweet stuff in my pantry. At least it will be gluten-free!

Thanks for any tips you might have brewing without gluten or malts!

Craig in Steamboat Colorado

Read the stickies in the GF forum and that should give you plenty of information to get rolling.

i started by reading "the complete joy of homebrewing" by charlie papizan (ive completely butchered his name) cover to cover..... then tossed it over my should and have been improvising ever since. some of my posts can attest to that :)

I think you are one of many 2 of us on here who has tasted New Planet. A lot of us are interested in it since it has won some awards.

In any case, let us know if you want any help making a recipe to start out with, we all started somewhere!

my non-GF gf picked up a sixer of new planet when she was in Colorado this past summer. i still have 1-2, they were good, reminds me almost of a heffweizen, but i still cant get past the sorghum after taste. i was also glad to hear that they werent 5.99 a bottle.

Back