How much water @ mash-out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlipking

Reaction score
Newbie question here. I'm using a recipe from Norther Brewer for a 5gal batch/5.83gal boil. The recipe calls for a sacch rest @153 degrees. The strike volume is indicated as 14.25quarts @167.5 degrees. But then it calls for a mash out to 170, but it does not indicate a volume or temp.

Is a simpleton like myself supposed to do the math and figure it out on my own? I don't think I have enough fingers to count-up this formula.

easy way is to use a collection bucket with gal markes on it so you can see how much wort you collect on your first runnings.. then just add enough sparge water to the mash that would bring both runnings to your pre-boil target!! :mug:

BTW. i would shoot for 6.5 pre-boil volume... 1 hour boil is around a gallon boil-off. then 5.5 into the fermenter wich after all the trub and yeast would leave you with around 5 gallons of finished beer.. the gravity might not be what the kit states though..

If you're batch sparging, you can skip the mash out and just do the batch sparge.

If you're fly sparging, you'd add enough boiling/hot water to bring your entire mash up to 168 or so. There are mash calculators online (a free one at rackers.org) or something like Beersmith to figure how much for sure. It's a calculation, and I'm sure you could do it by hand but I'm no math whiz, so I use software to figure it.

Back