October Storm Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPCousin

Reaction score
I brewed this one up the weekend of the big storm here in the northeast. It completed brewing about a half hour before the storm knocked out the power. It has turned out quite well and thought it was worth sharing. The chocolate, patent, and caramunich 2 all balance each other out nicely. After brewing several porters I've landed on this one for my regular house recipe. The caramel 60 and caramunich give it a maltier flavor. I tend to be a bit perfectionistic but this one I have been keeping and drinking for myself rather than giving a bunch away to friends and family. Anyhoo... Let me know if you try it and feel free to ask any questions :mug:

5 Gal Batch
OG: 1.061 at 63% efficiency
FG: 1.016
IBU's: 39
Yeast: S-04
Mash: 154 with a 1.25 quarts/lb to get the fuller body.

Grain
71% American Two-row Pale
13% Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
7% Chocolate Malt
4% Flaked Barley
3% Caramunich II
2% Black (Patent) Malt

Hops
60 mins 0.8 Centennial pellet 10.0
15 mins 0.5 Centennial pellet 10.0
0 mins 0.5 Centennial pellet 10.0

I pitched s-04 straight from room temp package around 67 and then fermented in basement at room temp of 66. Primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 1 and then into the bottle for 6 weeks at least for solid flavor. Happy New Year Beer peeps!

What was your recipe? I tried some with Munich 10L and darker crystals but they didn't have enough malt flavor to complement chocolate and black patent. The centennial is great because it is such a clean bittering hop in many ways and highlights the malt really well.

Look like good recipes. I have a pale ale with some Vienna I'm brewing this weekend. Never used it before so I'm curious how it will taste. When I've had it before its just been blended in with everything else. I find the caramunich has a bit of a stronger flavor for beers and you don't need very much compared with regular Munich. How did your Boch taste?

Did you use your local water or did you build it from RO water for this? If you built it what did you add?

The water for this was 3 gal Poland Spring and another 2 gal tap after it sat over night to release chlorine. I added 1/4 tsp of calcium chloride at beginning of the boil.

Look like good recipes. I have a pale ale with some Vienna I'm brewing this weekend. Never used it before so I'm curious how it will taste. When I've had it before its just been blended in with everything else. I find the caramunich has a bit of a stronger flavor for beers and you don't need very much compared with regular Munich. How did your Boch taste?

The Mai Bock was a request from my wife's co-workers. It got good reviews.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/bocher-hoppy-bock-235141/

It was an [Ayer's] clone.

Back