If i could kick myself in the nuts i would...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
So i go to bottle a beer I was making for my girlfriend today... blueberry wheat.

I get everything sanitized, rack into my bucket on top of the priming sugar and blueberry extract... bottle all the beer...

I taste at the end... man this beer taste like absolute ****...

Go to clean out my carboy in the sink and I think to myself "man I remember doing this recently..." See i only have one plastic carboy...

Then it hits me... I just bottled my 6 day old hefe... and the blueberry wheat is staring at me in the corner...

Wrong beer...

AND... i broke my autosiphon because the hose was on there so good and i was removing to clean... AND i spilled a bottle on the floor... AND now im afraid i might have created bottle bombs...

The beer taste like crap with the blueberry extract in it... and i dont want to lose my bottles...

should i uncap and dump?

Seriously this beer was so bad I couldn't drink it even to make a fat girl pretty...

OH AND ON TOP OF THAT! I tell all this to my girlfriend and her response to my ruined beer it "but MY beer is still ok right?"

I wouldn't dump..I mean, a hefeweizen probably doesn't taste bad blueberrized. Just open them up and put them back in the bucket. It'll be a stronger beer than you planned, but it's still salavagable.

ah... you think I could dump them back into my carboy? I never thought of that...

sure why not? It's just got extra sugar in it, but that will completely turn into alcohol and you don't really have a real OG reading anymore, although I imagine you could calculate based on how much sugar you added (not sure what's in the extract)

You risk oxidizing it by pouring it back in, but I'd rather have oxidized beer than glass shrapnel everywhere. Just pour very carefully and try not to splash. Better yet, if you got CO2, try to fill your carboy with CO2 first, so there's no oxygen to oxidize.

You can kick yourself in the nuts if you try hard enough.

But seriously, sad to hear of your misfortune. Unfortunately I don't have the experience to give you advice on this one!

You'd have to yank your foot into your groin using your hands, otherwise I think it would be a soft awkward kick.

Just pour one out and check gravity. I doubt you have bottle bombs. I would not dump them all back into a fermenter.

I'd had hefes that have completed fermentation in 3 days. It might have hit FG and you might be fine. Did you take a reading before you bottled? If it was done just leave it for a month or so and taste it again.

WarBac said:
I'd had hefes that have completed fermentation in 3 days. It might have hit FG and you might be fine. Did you take a reading before you bottled? If it was done just leave it for a month or so and taste it again.

Hell, I had a RIS that was at fg in 3 days. I'd bet money this fermentation was done. Maybe not cleaned up, but at fg.

Sorry man, that sucks indeed....HOWEVER, it may not be ruined

My first home brew (a BB summer ale extract kit) was prematurely bottled in 6 days and it came out fine. I would never recommend bottling this early, but you may be fine. When you store these bottles, make sure they're in some kind of protective covering in case they a'splode. This could just be something simple like plastic bags wrapped over the tops in a 12 pack, for example.

Back