Liquid Yeast Storage Temp Question....Still OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTS

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well I bought a AHS extract kit from them them on the Feb. 1st. and I picked up the kit today from a parcel drop off place. The yeast was shipped with a cold pack for the yeast but there is a good chance it was at room temp for about 5 days. Is the yeast still good to use? Whats the worst that could happen?

The yeast by the way is:
White Labs German Lager WLP830

The yeast right now is pretty cool from the ride home in the trunk.

My plan was to buy the kits from AHS then buy the yeast up here, but by the looks of things only one place in Winnipeg carry's the Wyeast and no one carry's the White labs.

Thanks for the help!!

Thanks!! the instructions state to warm it up before i pitch it.....is that necessary?

Thanks!! the instructions state to warm it up before i pitch it.....is that necessary?

Better yet, make a starter with it. Yes, you will want to bring the yeast up to pitching temp regardless. They don't like to go from 38*F right into 68*f wort. You will really stress them out and the ferment won't go as planned.

Well i got the extract batch going already (first one). I'm just going to pitch it as per the instructions. Also got to find a cold place to ferment at.....looks like the closet by the back door is as cold as I'm going to find in the house.

Maybe I should look into starters if Im going to keep on ordering from AHS.

Well i got the extract batch going already (first one). I'm just going to pitch it as per the instructions. Also got to find a cold place to ferment at.....looks like the closet by the back door is as cold as I'm going to find in the house.

Maybe I should look into starters if Im going to keep on ordering from AHS.

You should be doing a starter regardless of who you're ordering from. It's helps to keep your yeast healthy and active before you dump them into a bucket full of sugar.

As for pitching temps...I pitch lager yeast at lager temps, but if you don't have the ability to get your wort that cool, then pitching it at 65-70 is fine.

Well I pitched it at the wort temp of 70 and the yeast was close to the same. After about 13hrs not much was happening a bubble maybe every 5 min....if that.

But I got home later tonight and it is going crazy.....huge layer of foam and the airlock is going nuts. Should be good.....was hard finding a place that cold in my house though.

Oh well time for hockey and when i get back it's Belgian white beer brew time!!

I will have to look at doing starters.

Back