keg carbonation at room temp.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcom579

Reaction score
so i am bottling my beer with a kegging system. might be a stupid question but my kegerator is full and wanted to know if i could carbonate my beer in a keg system at room temp (70-65 degrees) and then transfer it to bottles to chill a week or 2 later.....??? does this sound reasonable??

you have to use a lot more pressure at room temp because warmer beer doesn't want to absorb CO2 as readily, and the saturation levels drop.

I would not try to force carb at room temp and then bottle. you need more stable temps or the CO2 will leap out of solution.

As long as he then cools the beer before bottling he'll be okay. I normally prime my kegs with sugar and leave them at room temp for a week and then I'm good to go. You'd still need to chill prior to bottling either way.

thanks for the advice guys. gona have to go look for a inexpensive ice chest or somthin

Carbing at room temp works just fine. I did it for a year before I found a free freezer to convert. I used 30 psi and let it sit for a week. This always gave me fine carbonation, although the control you have with a temp controlled freezer does yield a better (more accurate) carbonation. If you can find a free or very cheep chest freezer it is worth the investment. Or just carb it up and wait till you have room in your kegerator.

Cheers

Back