help - quick decisions needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnthemate

Reaction score
hi,

- looking for some quick guidance

im in China for another two days, and the prices here are a lot less than Italy, but I need to think fast, and have a limited web connection, so cannot do all the research I would like to .

Im failry sure I want a RIMS controlled, electric brewery. Im based in Euroep so 220v
( I already have 2 pumps, 3x 5 gallon vessels ( but would like to keep it to 2)

So here's the rub,

1. for the BK, what wattage ratign heat stick do I need?
2. for the RIms, what wattage do i need ( ideally I would like to try to go from 20 deg c to mash temps 70 deg c - 50 deg C raise, what wattage do i need, and what type? I seem to remeber a lot about ultra low wattage etc.

I live in a hard water area, will the elements, calk up a lot?

3. shoud I hard plub everything , or go for cam locks, they are dirt cheap here, so I am tempted, but if I dont need tham,t hen I am still wastign money right!

4. Valves, automated, or simple, 3 part or two part?
i think I am just goignt o go with the simplest, unless I can be convinced quickly ! :)

5. the electronics control panel part of it, lights switches automation.. oh damn, I wish Id done more homework back in italy !

6. thermomters .. best as idnividual in vessel, or as part of sight glass, how long a stem, what type?

I guess I am just going to have to pick up as much stuff as I can think that is reasonable and run with it, but any help wold be really great. especially on the high cost items.\

Thanks !

John

I dont have the knowledge to comment on the 220V system you are planning,

but for 3. I would definitely go with camlocks first starting off. Even if you eventually plan to hard plumb some of the connections.. it will get you used to the system before having to redo your plumbing (just how cheap are the cam lock fittings your looking at?)

4. I would go 3 peice manual

6. Part of the sight glass works well, go with at least a 4" stem

. I would definitely go with camlocks first starting off. Even if you eventually plan to hard plumb some of the connections.. it will get you used to the system before having to redo your plumbing (just how cheap are the cam lock fittings your looking at?)

Good advice. Start simple and learn how to use it first. I'm just learning my 20 gallon system I've had for 6 months. It would have been overwelming and less productive if I started off with automatic valves- hard plumbed..and probably wrong. As you use it, you'll learn where you'll want certain valves etc, and can then purchase only what you really need.

I have 2 pumps and 5 valves on the system, and I know now what I want to buy to make the system easier to use and the overall process faster and smoother.

Aquenne, Thanks for coming back so quickly .

3. Ok, Im convinced, just didnt want to wast eany money. The ones Ive seen on the internet er are in the range of abbout 1.5 $ per piece at 1/2 inch. I havent got the link with me so cannot remeber the exact price. As it is Chinese New year, a lot of the shops are closed, and clearly the shop price will be higher. Ill report back :)

4. thanks - Ill check the price differemce, but this would also be my preference.

6. clear, and useful hint on the 4", is this a 1/2 " fittign or 3/8?

thanks once again.. wish id done my homework on the electrical part :(

Thanks WroxBrew,

I think I like the idea of camlocks .. more shiny, and we all like shiny things :), and Im sure that with future design I might want to change stuff, so thanks for the confirmation.
What sort of system have you got set up.. let me check if it is on here. 2 pumps five valves.

My original idea had 3 vlaves ( +1 which I clearly needed), a two pump system would make sense with five, so I think I will go for five.

Thanks again!

Been downwn to the stores today, this is a hobbyists dreamworld, apart from most of them were closed over as it is still Chinese new year holiday.So a few extra questions.

1. the camlocks fittigns look very large, is this actually the case. sorry couldnt take a picturem but i was sort of extectingthem to be smaller. 316 steel coming in at about 55 RMB, about 6.5 euros for a pari of connections ( say F and C). Will check out the other QD's tomorrow, when I will have to make a decision, but I was expecting these guys to look a little less bulky.

2. PID temp controller. a PT100, from soem unknown chiense co.. Shanghaihuo yu yibian. at about 15 eyurso each... so tempting. I know I defintiely will need one for the RIMS.. do I need on for anythign else? ( perhaps a spare :))

Do I need a particualr typ of temperature probe?

Oh damn, I wish I lived here!

Im still stuck onteh heating elements, what for RIMS and what for BK, one vessle hole or two.. and then how much wattage for 5 litres at 240 volts, see above. Any help really gratefully received.

thanks,

John

Back