Racking, clearing, and backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detlion1643

Reaction score
I currently have a 5 gallon batch of strawberry concentrate wine that wasn't noted how it was made :(...

I remember it used 5 cans of concentrate, at least 2lbs of sugar (maybe like 2.5ish as I ran out of it), and water to near the top of the neck of a 5 gallon better bottle. Pitched montrachet yeast on 8/27. It's been in the primary since then.

The reason for posting though is to ask a couple questions regarding after fermentation:
1. I'm planning to splash rack it this weekend. Should I rack onto dissolved campden and/or sorbate (currently only have campden)?
2. If I want to try to speed up clearing (if it can) or faster dropping of lees, is any method of finings better than others?
3. If I'm planning to backsweeten at bottling with another can or 2 of concentrate, would that effect having anymore sediment while bottle aging?
3a. Might it be better to stabilize while racking, backsweeten a couple dayas later, and let age (racking if needed), avoiding bottling for a while?

I currently have a 5 gallon batch of strawberry concentrate wine that wasn't noted how it was made :(...

I remember it used 5 cans of concentrate, at least 2lbs of sugar (maybe like 2.5ish as I ran out of it), and water to near the top of the neck of a 5 gallon better bottle. Pitched montrachet yeast on 8/27. It's been in the primary since then.

The reason for posting though is to ask a couple questions regarding after fermentation:
1. I'm planning to splash rack it this weekend. Should I rack onto dissolved campden and/or sorbate (currently only have campden)?
2. If I want to try to speed up clearing (if it can) or faster dropping of lees, is any method of finings better than others?
3. If I'm planning to backsweeten at bottling with another can or 2 of concentrate, would that effect having anymore sediment while bottle aging?
3a. Might it be better to stabilize while racking, backsweeten a couple dayas later, and let age (racking if needed), avoiding bottling for a while?

1. Why? If it's sulfury and a problem, fine. Then don't go on with the rest of the steps. If the wine is in good shape, then definitely don't splash rack!
Don't stabilize if it needs splash racking. That's an issue. Also, don't use the sorbate until the wine is perfectly clear and no longer dropping ANY sediment.
2. Stick it in the fridge. That's the best fining you can imagine!
3. Not if it's stabilized properly
4. Yes, that's what I'd do. But don't stabilize until it's ready to stabilize (see #1).

Latest posts

Back